cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-70mm f2.8 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

jakrelphotos
Apprentice

I am getting the following error with my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens mounted on 2 different cameras. 

"Err 1 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts"

Other lenses work fine on the 2 cameras so the problem is with the 24-70mm lens. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the lens but to no avail.

I don't get the error and am able to take shots when I set the aperture to 2.8. The error occurs with all other aperture settings. Auto focus seems to work ok (contacts are ok?) so it appears that the lens aperture blades may be stuck.

Any suggestions on how to get the other aperture settings to work?

Thanks  

16 REPLIES 16

Danny! I did that the minute i bought this lens! All my gear is registered there! Canon should repair AT NO COST this faulty manufacturing which is all over YT and the internet

I was going to eventually drive up to the Irvine Canon Factory Service Center to repair the 24-70mm lens.  Can anyone please confirm that Canon no longer services this lens?

Follow what Danny says above.

You could also give the Center a call.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

bmolson
Apprentice

I have this same issue but with my 24-70 tamron f2.8. It doesn’t happen when using it on my D3 body, just in the r6. It works ok when I use 2.8 but any other aperture causes the error.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

3rd party lens compatibility is not guaranteed.  Support for 3rd party products is beyond the scope of this forum.  For best results, I suggest using Canon glass with your Canon body's.  If you are adapting EF to RF, a Canon brand adapter is recommended.  Some 3rd party lenses work better than others, some not at all.  Tamron lenses seem to work reliably with older cameras.  Some mirrorless cameras can be hit or miss.  In some cases, lens firmware if available might help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shipbreaker1
Apprentice

My 24-70mm L lens is not communicating with any of my canon cameras. 1DS Mark 1 or my R5. I cleaned the contacts 3 times and not working. How do I get it repaired?

Register your product on the Canon support site and request support. Depending on which version of lens Canon may not service. Then you could try Midwest Camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements