cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-70mm f/2.8 L - new version

CapeCodDan
Enthusiast

Can anyone speak to any notable differences/improvements between the original version I own (it's 13 years old now) and the II now offered?  I'm starting to have concerns about the autofocusing/sharpness of mine (especially wide open), and am bothered by lens flare whenever I'm aiming in the general direction of a light source (even when the light is not in frame). Yes i always use a hood.  Any advice will be appreciated!  (using it on a 6D Mark II and a 90D)

9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm starting to have concerns about the autofocusing/sharpness of mine ..."

I have no such issues with either my version one or version two. The Mk II is the better lens if you just consider how it is made differently but in real world use they are close. I also had the 28-70mm f2.8L which I thought was a very sharp lens.

Your stating that leads me to believe that the lens was better and now it is not. Unless a lens sustains some physical damage such as improper cleaning or being dropper or rough use, they don't change or lose their IQ. Remember all lenses have their limits and you may have shot some things recently that exceeded those limits.

I am not sure if the original 24-70mil is still a serviceable lens by Canon so a call is in order if you think you need to have it checked out or repaired. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the info! Lens has never received any significant bumps or bruises. Perhaps, the higher megapixel counts in today's DSLRs are just showing me whatever shortcomings the lens has, a little better. Stopping down to 5.6-ish helps a lot.

"Stopping down to 5.6-ish helps a lot."

Yes it does but you don't buy a f2.8 lens to have to use f5.6. For peace of mind I think you need to send it in. Can you post a sample of what you are seeing?  Maybe we can see something to help diagnose it.

EB

Here's one showing the flare....f/7.1, 1/500 sec. IMG_8373sm.jpg

That really does not look like sensor dust.  Are you using a lens hood?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, it's definintely flare.  Always use a hood!

"That really does not look like sensor dust"

What?  Did we ever call it "sensor dust"? Smiley Frustrated Did I miss something?

It is lens flare. One thing to ask and make sure, you don't have any filter on it do you? Even though you aren't including a bright light source in your photo doesn't eliminate any possibility of flare.

You can have a light source that is outside the lens angle of view, not included in the image. The light rays can still reach the front element of the lens. This also results in a noticeable lack of contrast.  Things that contribute to flare can be dust inside the lens, a dirty front element, a dirty or low-quality lens filter.

I still am favoring sending it to Canon for a C&C.

EB

Good advice, I'll get in touch with CPS and get their thoughts.  Thanks!

Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements