cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55 AF working fine but zoom rig is Stiff

SushilShetti
Apprentice

Hello all, 

Greetings!  I have a Canon 1300D with 18-55 lens, (warranty expired) 

Month back, Lens has accidentally fallen on the ground which caused a crack on the body and AutoFocus was not working. 

I took it to repair shop and replaced its body with one of another old, not working 18-55 lens. (cheaper solution) 

AF is working fine now, but the zoom ring is very stiff and hard to rotate/Adjust.

Kindly suggest the solution. 

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 18-55mm kit lens is not worth the cost of repairing.  It is a throw away lens when it fails.  I suggest replacing it with the the upgrade version of that model, the EF-S 18-55mm STM version of the lens.  Notice the “STM” at the end of the model number.

Or, you could dive into the deep end and spring for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.  But, be forewarned that the lens is so large that it will block the output of your built-in flash, necessitating the use of an external flash.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"AF is working fine now, but the zoom ring is very stiff and hard to rotate/Adjust."

Live with it.  When it finally gives up the ghost, it will give you a chance to buy a much better lens.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements