cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-135 IS USM lens Metering Needle Not Working

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I just received an 18-135mm IS USM lens and noticed that the metering needle is not working in Av and Tv modes.

It does work in Manual mode.

Is there a setting I am missing, or is this a feature of this lens?

The lens is registered and turned on in my lens aberration control settings.

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with Trevor.  You are probably looking at an Ev scale, which shows your current exposure relative to 0 Ev.  The display works the same way in P, Tv, Av, and M modes.  It is indicating how much you could be under or ever exposed. 

When you are in Manual mode, you have complete control over the exposure.  You have to adjust Tv, Av, and ISO to achieve 0 Ev,  As you make adjustments, the pointer may move left or right.

When you are in Av, Tv, or P mode, as you change one setting the camera is automatically adjusting another setting to maintain 0 Ev exposure.  This can make it seem as if the pointer is never moving.  And, it isn’t!  Because the camera is doing its job of correcting your exposure for 0 Ev.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Steve

You didn't mention which camera you have, so I went  back through your posts and you have mentioned a T8i, is that the case? 

When you refer to a 'metering needle' I am not sure what you mean.  Digital cameras display settings as numbers.  The only scale I can think of is the exposure compensation scale at the bottom.  It might be worthwhile having a look at the Canon knowledgebase page on the display, noting that it is possible to customize it to display (or not) various elements.

Here is the link to that page.  I hope it will be helpful.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with Trevor.  You are probably looking at an Ev scale, which shows your current exposure relative to 0 Ev.  The display works the same way in P, Tv, Av, and M modes.  It is indicating how much you could be under or ever exposed. 

When you are in Manual mode, you have complete control over the exposure.  You have to adjust Tv, Av, and ISO to achieve 0 Ev,  As you make adjustments, the pointer may move left or right.

When you are in Av, Tv, or P mode, as you change one setting the camera is automatically adjusting another setting to maintain 0 Ev exposure.  This can make it seem as if the pointer is never moving.  And, it isn’t!  Because the camera is doing its job of correcting your exposure for 0 Ev.

Wadizzle and Trevor,

Yes, I am using a Canon T8i. and Trevor, yes, I was referring to the exposure scale at the bottom.

Waddizzle, you wrote, "This can make it seem as if the pointer is never moving. And, it isn’t!"

You mean that pointer never moves off 0 when I'm in one of those Creative modes other than manual?

Yes, the settings do change, but the needle doesn't move off 0.

I've had the camera for about a year, and I could have sworn...

You mean to tell me that I've spent the last four hours, changed the battery, reset all my camera settings, and it's supposed to work like that?

Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

Steve Thomas

In response to: You mean to tell me that I've spent the last four hours, changed the battery, reset all my camera settings, and it's supposed to work like that?

Basically yes. 🙁  This is where going to the manual as your first point of reference is a good habit to get into and avoid further pain and effort.  I've been shooting for over 40 years and have literally dozens of bodies, but I still go to the manual if I am not sure about something.

If you prefer not to read a manual, this comprehensive video on a similar body might be useful:

If we can provide further assistance once you have digested that, don't hesitate to continue this thread, but I would suggest you stick to one thread to avoid confusion.
If this resolves your issue, please select the most appropriate solution and mark is as a resolution to avoid folks trying to continue to solve this.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

“You mean to tell me that I've spent the last four hours, changed the battery, reset all my camera settings, and it's supposed to work like that?“

Yes, it is supposed to work that way.  

In M mode you will only see one setting change at a time, so the Ev scale pointer may move left or right.  

In P, Av, or Tv modes you will [see] more than one setting changing at at the same time.  The camera is making corrections just as quickly as you change settings.  Of course, there are certain limits to much the camera can correct, which is why those modes have the “Safety Shift” feature.  

Also, if you spin the Main Wheel very quickly, you might see the pointer twitch a little as the camera fights to keep up with you.  This no longer happens as much on the newer camera bodies because of their faster CPUs.

If you want to see the pointer move in P, Tv, or Av modes, then dial in some Exposure Compensation.  Use the scale you see on the Quick Menu screen, which opens when you press the [Q] button.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

NOTE: THE OP HAS CONTINUED THIS THREAD ON ANOTHER FORUM.  SEE THAT AT THIS LINK  and post any responses there.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements