cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16-35 L USM lens and struggling with sharp focus and depth of field.

dvoros
Apprentice

I just purchased the 16-35 L lens after reading all the reviews. I was previoulsy using the 24-70mm and was happy with the results. I am new to the Canon Mark 5D III and the new wide angle lens. I took pictures yesterday for over two hours and came back with no sharp images and no depth of field even when shooting at F/22. I zoomed in or moved close to my subjects expecting the images to be tack sharp but I am extremely disappointed. Not ONE of my pictures were tack sharp. What am I doing wrong? Are there correct settings for close-ups, landscapes and portraits with this lens? At F/22 I shoot 1/3 of the way into the picture expecting that everything in front and behind will be sharp. Not so. I am very frustrated as a newcomer to this camera. Please advise or guide me to a great source to learn.

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Probably not a welcomed reply but the problem is not f22 and it is not the silly DOF light fall off non-sense or micro-lens adjustemnt.  It is most likely your technique.  Smiley Frustrated

You moved or your subject moved or you shook the camera and didn't hold it still enough. And your light was probably not right.

Sorry but investigate this first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@cale_kat wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@dvoros wrote:

I had a Rebel EOS T4i

Your T4i didn't have autofocus microadjustment; your 5D3 has a particularly elaborate version that lets you set separate adjustments at the long and short ends of the zoom range. Try that before you give up and demand a replacement lens.

I want to help the OP too but Canon is pretty clear about not messing with the autofocus adjustment settings unless you're a pretty experienced photographer. 

ScreenHunter_19 Aug. 05 19.48.jpg

The OP is describing a situation in which his pictures are being ruined, and all evidence presented so far points to an autofocus adjustment error. That fits my definition of "necessary". The worst that can happen is that the OP tries unsuccessfully to correct the problem, whereupon the camera goes to the Canon shop. But if he doesn't try, that's probably where the camera's going anyway.

And anybody who isn't a "pretty experienced photographer" is unlikely to shell out the money for a 5D3. From that I infer that he probably is one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Probably not a welcomed reply but the problem is not f22 and it is not the silly DOF light fall off non-sense or micro-lens adjustemnt.  It is most likely your technique.  Smiley Frustrated

You moved or your subject moved or you shook the camera and didn't hold it still enough. And your light was probably not right.

Sorry but investigate this first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements