cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning the new wide angle lens in New York

ScottyP
Authority

New York with new 16-35 (1 of 1)-4.JPGTook a last minute 4-day in New York.  First time using the lens other than stopping by the zoo trip on the way back from the camera store with the new lens, where I realized some online reading was needed to figure out this lens.

After a LOT of reading and studying, I went from fearing I'd bought the wrong lens to being really excited about the whole new field of view and feel I can learn how to get using this lens.

New York with new 16-35 (1 of 1)-8.JPGNew York with new 16-35 (1 of 1)-6.JPG

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
12 REPLIES 12

ScottyP
Authority

New York with new 16-35 (1 of 1)-5.JPG

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is that the EF 16-35mm f/2,8L III USM?  I have a release II, and love it.

IMG_0039.JPG

This is an HDR shot at 16mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle.  Yes, it is the version 3.  WA is so different from the 35mm normal and 70-200 telephoto lengths I am mainly used to.

I am mostly working on my technique and how to compose with such a challenging and unforgiving field of view, but from the technical/equipment standpoint, I am really liking the excellent color rendering and sharpness.  

It has been a while since I was so excited about shooting.  Such a huge change in the look of the shots and the possibilities using the foreground-background distortion to good advantage.

Scott

You can take some seemingly "impossible" shots.  

IMG_0026.JPG

Like a 14 story building less than 100 feet from it.  Yes, that's a 14 story building.  We don't do a 13FL in NYC.

Now that's what I call some cool barrel distortion! 🙂 <joke>

Great shot, Waddizzle. 

@John_SD wrote:

Now that's what I call some cool barrel distortion! 🙂 <joke>

Great shot, Waddizzle. 

Thanks, John_SD.  If it seems like the camera is fairly high off of the ground, above the street, that's because it was.  That's a handheld shot.  I stand 6'9".  That's what the world looks like from a skybox.  Smiley Wink

"It has been a while since I was so excited about shooting."

Scotty it has been my experience that most folks get truly excited about big teles.  Super teles, the bigger the better!  They seldom give the WA and UWA lenses a thought..............until they get one.  Just as super teles draw an attention to detail and composition, so does the UWA.  Most shooters get that "Oh boy" feeling after they get such a lens.  It seems like you got it!

After you get used to and comfortable with you new prize, think of getting the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens.  You will have another, "Oh WOW!" moment. Guaranteed.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This is the best shot you have posted.  It is perfect.  Smiley Very Happy

IMG_0039.JPG

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is the best shot you have posted.  It is perfect.  Smiley Very Happy

IMG_0039.JPG

Thanks, Ernie.  You would be pleased to know that this is an HDR shot, a product of post processing.

[EDIT] It is a shot of my favorite subject, "stone stuff."

Announcements