cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ink level?

heyjude70819
Apprentice

I'm trying to find out how much ink I have left but it says ink details cannot be displayed. Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11

Jason
Whiz
Hello heyjude70819!  In order for the community to better assist you, we’ll need to know the model of the printer you are using, as well as which ink tanks you have inserted.  This will ensure the most accurate information is provided.  We look forward to hearing back from you!

Okay, this is driving me a little crazy and I am hoping to get some help.  I've got over 20 years of IT experience so I can understand the lingo and it kills me to have to ask this in a forum.  Here's the deal.

I was just writing a nasty letter to headquarters about my MG6120 regarding the software's silly paper handling (can't delete the defaults; can't save over a current one ...) but before printing that letter, I decided to go and download the latest drivers and reinstall thinking maybe there were some new features available.  Before this, it was working perfectly.  I've had the printer for well over 5 months now.

I uninstalled all the drivers and the printer itself first.  

Then instead of using the disk that came with it, I downloaded 3 files for Windows 8 64-bit.  I went to the driver page on Canon and downloaded the files for the drivers, MP Navigator and My Printer.  Filenames are:

mpnx_4_0-win-4_02-ejs.exe

mypr-win-3_1_0-ea11_2.exe

mp68-win-mg6100-1_05-ejs.exe

I installed the drivers first, restarted pc, then installed My Printer and then MP Navigator.  EVERYTHING works.  I can print and all is well.  I am connected wirelessly.

However, I cannot get ink status anymore.  It says ink details cannot be displayed which doesn't make sense to me when everything else is on par.

Please, do you know of any other driver or file that I need to download and install from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg6120#D... or have a clue what the problem is.  Thanks.

-----  ----- -----  ----- -----  ----- -----  ----- 

UPDATE 10 minutes later:  I went and downloaded the XPS driver and the Solution Menu software as well from the page above and same issue.

I can't help but wonder now - if I had kept the initial install and then downloaded the newer drivers, would they have just updated?  

Thanks much.  I'll try to wait for a reply, but I have a feeling I'll be up a little late and will figure it out on my own.  Reinstall from the disk and then try to update.  Maybe.  We'll see how restless I get while I wait for a response.

Thanks again.

Alright, I gave up, uninstalled everything, reinstalled from the disk and got my ink details again.  

So, my updated question now is, can I now update the old drivers by just installing what I've downloaded?  

Here's what worked.  I did just that.  After I had the original install back on from the disk, I updated everything with the downloads and now everything is fine and I've got my ink details.  Done.

THE END

Cordially,
Patricia

Nixon Virtual Strategies
http://www.nixonvs.com
recognized by Forbes

Anybody moderating here?  Just wondering.  Good thing I didn't end up needing support ...

Cordially,
Patricia

Nixon Virtual Strategies
recognized by Forbes

NVS
Contributor

Hello hello hello?

Cordially,
Patricia

Nixon Virtual Strategies
recognized by Forbes

Hi NVS,

We're here, and we are moderating.  The Canon USA forum moderators are here to moderate activity on the forum and help users when they need forum assistance! 

From your initial post, it looks like you may have resolved the issues you were running into.  However, if you still need further assistance, Contact Us to work with a technician.  Our technicians and Subject Matter Experts can help with any technical issues or problems you're running into with Canon products.  This would be the best way to receive immediate troubleshooting for any technical problems you're experiencing.

We hope this helps!

Actually, Naomi, there is something you might assist with and it refers to my initial question which I posted two weeks ago, so do look there.

In short, are there a set of Windows 8 drivers that I can install in which THE INK LEVEL FEATURE WOULD WORK?  I'm about to reset my pc to factory defaults and would rather not have to install the drivers from the disk first and THEN have to go and install several separate drivers again from your site (since they're not all packaged nicely in a zip, and I have to pick through them to figure out which I need).

Where can I get a disc with the Windows 8 drivers THAT WORK WITH THE INK LEVEL THINGY?  The only way I got it to work was to install the Windows 7 drivers first and then patch it up with your later downloads.

Let's see how many days or weeks it takes to hear back now ...

Cordially,
Patricia

Nixon Virtual Strategies
recognized by Forbes

Hi Patricia,

Under normal circumstances, if you skip the driver install from the CD and go straight to the drivers on our website it will install correctly and you should have access to the ink levels.  If it doesn't work, contacting us directly would get things resolved faster than using the forums, so that we can figure out what may be interfering with the drivers.  The contact link Naomi provided will help you get in touch with one of the phone or email support agents which has a faster turnaround time then our troubleshooting the issue over the forums.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'll just do what worked the last time and thanks.  One day when I have time for long hold time and back and forth I'll consider giving you guys a ring.  In all the years I've used Canon printers, I've never had anyone want to talk to me, so I figured these forums might be the way to go.

Clearly I was very, very detailed in my first communication here and I did say I attempted to install just from the drivers online and that did not work.  Everything worked fine except I couldn't see the ink levels and that is what this entire string is related to so ... I don't need a phone call.  Just give me something to go on.  I've read through this entire thread already.]

Whatever ... my first Canon printer was a 610e Bubblejet - and it was the coolest thing.  It would even turn ON automatically if you sent a print job to it while it was off.  I got so spoiled ...

AND I just printed out my letter to Headquarters.  When we call we're led to your support forums and when we're here we're led to call.  ???  Clearly Ashton Kutcher is behind the scenes and I'm being punked.  Not mad, just not making sense at all.  Drivers that work for Windows 8, and show ink levels - that's what we are asking for.

If you scroll up, back in December a guy asked for help with the same problem and he was told to reply back with his model number, etc.  I provided MORE than enough info to help including a model number and you can't offer me anything more than that?  Man please.  I'm not doing this another two weeks.

Have a good evening. Whatever.

Cordially,
Patricia

Nixon Virtual Strategies
recognized by Forbes

JaclynTagg
Apprentice

Hi, I'm also having this trouble.
My printer is reading 'Printer not responding' then below it 'Ink levels cannot be displayed'. I had a major error, I think it was 'error 5000' MG6460 and could not fix it, regardless of the instructions on how. So I bought a 'display model' on the cheap MG5560. The printer set-up was fine, the printer was working fine, until my Magenta ran out, now, after replacement, it reads the above and I cannot print. So now I have 2 USELESS Canon printers. And I assure you, I shall NOT be phoning your American helpdesk from Australia!
Please help. I am in urgent need of printing. And I will write on EVERY Canon site I can find (including Facebook) until someone can give me a solution!
If my problem is NOT corrected, I shall not be purchasing another Canon product again... Including the SLR I replace every 3 years.

Jackie

Announcements