Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iP8720 code 1660 -- **SOLVED**

ransur0t
Apprentice

Hi,

-------------EDIT-------------

So, some of  you may have been thinking "try a Canon cartridge!" -- well, I did just that, and the error has cleared.  I suspect, but cannot be certain, that I replaced the last of the Canon cartridges at the same time I replaced the non-oem magenta, hence the printer may need at least one Canon cartridge installed to function ...  

If anyone can comment as to the accuracy of this, that would be appreciated!

-ljg

----------EDIT-------------------

I've been printing trouble free for a couple years using 3rd party ink for my iP8720 printer.  Recently, I had to replace the magenta cartridge.  The replacement was recognized (light is lit), but the error code will not clear from the printer.

I have tried using other (also new 3rd party) cartridges, removing and reseating the cartridges, and removing and cleaning the print head, yet the error won't clear.

Has anyone experienced this issue?  If so, is there a way to clear the error?

Thanks and kind regards,

ljg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ransur0t
Apprentice
So, turns out that both of the third party magenta cartridges from that box were defective. I ordered a new set and the magenta cartridge works fine now. 😊👍

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Darius
Whiz

Hi ransur0t.

While we recommend using Canon inks, there is no preprogramming to prevent it from working with non-Canon produced ink tanks.  If the inks were remanufactured, then they may have been remanufactured using ink tanks that were damaged, or they may have been damaged by the process.

Additionally, each ink needs to be in the correct slot for the printer to operate.  The two black ink tanks are mutually exclusive; the one cannot fit in the other's slot and vice versa.  The PGBK / PGI ink is a different type of ink from the BK / CLI BK ink, and they will be unrecognizable in each other's slot.

Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi there, can I please get soem assistance regarding the fixing of this issue I'm using genuine Canon inks it just won't recognise the yellow ink

Hi positiveg.

If the iP8720 is less than a month old, and isn't recognizing one of the inks no matter what you do, please contact Canon support for warranty service.  If you are in the U.S., create/log into a Canon Account and register your printer HERE, and use the number provided for additional support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the exact same problem and I see no solution. Replaced all the inks with Canon ink and it will not recognize the yellow in and will not work without it. Is there a way to override this since it's just one color and I only need to print in black and white?

I have a TS8120 and all I want to do is use it for a scanner. I can't get past the error code 1660 message. Scanner won't function without proper ink tanks a take it.

positiveg
Apprentice

Good day I have the 8720 and itn's not recognising genuine or 3rd party yllow ink

I did have enuine was fine I tried a 3rd party no luck so decided to go back to genuine and still the problem remains

I'm at a loss becasue I've only havd the printer for about amonth and was first time chaning the ink 

ransur0t
Apprentice
So, turns out that both of the third party magenta cartridges from that box were defective. I ordered a new set and the magenta cartridge works fine now. 😊👍
Announcements