cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i downloaded the pixma mg5420 user manual. how do i open it to read?

wmharv
Contributor

hello. i've downloaded the manual for my pixma mg5420 printer to my MacBook. i have the file: mem_-mac-mg5400-1_10-mcd.dmg . what do i need to do to open this manual to read? thanks, bill / wmharv

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

A dmg file is a Disk iMaGe.  You will need to double-click on it in Finder to open it up.  There should be a new folder/drive icon that shows up on your desktop.  Double-click on that to open its window and you should see the user manual and any other files.

You can drag the main PDF from that window say to your Documents folder or wherever you need to have quick access to it.

Notes  If the window's contents don't show any PDF but instead a .pkg (Package) file, you'll need to double-click that .pkg and go through an installation process to install the manual.

If your Finder settings are not set up as follows, you won't see icons show up on your desktop when double-clicking on those .dmg files:

Finder SettingsFinder Settings

Access these Settings/Preferences by selecting the Settings/Preferences menu item under the Finder menu.   Apple has recently renamed this menu item to be "Settings" in newer operating systems.  Older operating systems will have that menu item named "Preferences"

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Stephen

It's an older file, but I got it to work by dragging the package (the icon at the top) from the archive to my desktop. Then control-click the package icon - go to open. You'll get a warning about not being able to verify the package for malware - click Open Anyway. Go through the normal process. You'll get a bunch more errors - I was able to bypass them and it installed properly for me.

when i clicked Open Anyway, the result was 

“mem_-mac-mg5400-1_10-mcd.mpkg” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware. 

then choice of 'Move to Trash" or "Cancel". so, no success.

After looking at it on my Mac running macOS Ventura 13.3 again, it acted like it was installed, but nothing was there. I tried the installation again and got the same error you did.

This printer was retired in 2018, so the package probably isn't compatible with modern versions of macOS. 

same result for me. after i wrote you, it appeared the manual was being installed. but i can't find it.

Look in your Programs list, or application list or whatever it's called on a Mac. In Windows, it's an On-screen Manual that is installed as a program. There is a printing option, which I haven't used so I can't say what it lets you print.

Announcements