cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Window 10 and no printer recognized

mohayley
Apprentice

Got the recent upgrade to Window 10 and now my Pixa MP530 is no where to be found.  Tried looking for the driver and Canon says "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."  I selected Window 10.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

14 REPLIES 14

I am not familiar with that printer, but it is possible that a generic PCL printer driver could work.  HP has several types of generic drivers that seem to work across a wide variety of brands of printers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks - for that suggestion, 

I wanted to try the win 8.1 driver, but the site actually would not let me choose anything but what was autodetected - win 10 in other words.

I found an 8.1 driver that I could download at cannon.ca - the Canadian site, I think. Unfortunately, it would not run the scanner. 

I found it at canon.ca with this path

Home / Support & Drivers / Consumer & Home Office / All-In-One Printer / PIXMA MP Series / Drivers & Software

I just installed win 8.1 drivers on my win 10, 64bit it works fine. I couldnt use the scanner from the mp nav icon on desktop, but I used the scan button on the printer and id did the job, also if you go to printers and devices and you will see a generic multifunctional... right click on the printer icon and you can scan without using the canon scanner software. (sorry for my english, its not my native language)

Link to win 8.1 (64bit ) drivers

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp...

Waddizzle was right, the HP Drivers work!

I downloaded the Postscript driver, as I want to print photos also. I would recommend it.

It's at https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Universal-Print-Driver-Series-for-Windows/503548...

Select "Driver - Universal Print Driver", then pick the one with Postscript.

The cool thing is then you can download and install the MP Navigator software and it actually works as opposed to failing as it does with the Canon 8.1 drivers. You can use the scanner software in MP Navigator once the HP Postscript driver is installed.

Canon Easy Photo Print seems to work also...both those are here:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp...

Just don't install the Canon drivers!

Thanks for the tip Waddizzle...and thank you HP! I'll definitely buy an HP as my next printer, as obviously Canon doesn't care about supporting their users. Rather shortsighted, because printer manufacturers make all their money off ink cartridges...not selling you a new printer!

mwmurray
Apprentice

I also upgraded to Windows 10 and had a similar problem, but with a Pixma MX300.  Like some others, I was offered the opportunity to join the Canon Loyalty Program. But, why do I want to be loyal to a brand that does not support its products?  Based on information on Canon's web site, it appears there are more than a hundred printers that will not have drivers for Windows 10.  However, until now, I have been very happy with the function of this all-in-one.  So, based on responses to this post and information provided by Canon, I attempted to use the Windows 7/8 driver.  However, there was no driver available for a 64x system.  Using someone else's idea, I went to the Canon's Canadian web site (www.canon.ca) and, through the "Support and Drivers" link at the top of the page, found a driver that appears to work.  I haven't tested it extensively, but my printer was recognized and I was able to print a plain page of text.  So, I thank those that posted responses ahead of me and provided valuable inforation, and I wonder why Canon does not have this same driver available on the U.S. page?  With such a lack of support, I will use this printer as long as I can but am unlikely to replace it with a Canon product.

Announcements