cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR8500 says "the printer is in use"

CharbKM
Apprentice

Hi there, out of nowhere my printer stopped printing. i was trying to print something from my ipad which typically always works. it didn't print, and now i am also not able to print from the computer or the ipad.  When i open the printer settings on my computer and try to print something, it says "the printer is in use" but as far a i can tell it is not in use.  Is there a way to reset this or something? Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi CharbKM,

Is there an error on the display of your PIXMA TR8520?

If not, please turn your PIXMA TR8520 off.  Next, please turn your computer off.

Once both are off, please turn your PIXMA TR8520 back on.

When the PIXMA TR8520 is ready, please turn your computer back on and attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same problem here.
Printer is on and the view screen shots the normal menu.
Both of our Macs are unable to print to it. Both seem to queue and send the job to the printer, but then state "the printer is in use". However its not in use.
Reboot of Macs and printer make no difference.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled printer on the Mac also. No change. Still shows 'the printer is in use".
The thing printed just fine just a week or so ago.

Found something interesting. When we print from a PC, it prints fine. That's the machine we printed from succesfully a week or so ago.
Its just our two Macs that have this problem and there's no way to tell when it started. I believe a long time ago, as the printing and scanning does not work. I now remember this is why I had to resort to scanning from the Canon directly to Google Drive.

One is MacOS Mojave and the other is a major version behind that.
One is corporate owned, the other is personal. I had presumed that some corporate end point protection may be at fault, but clearly not as the personal Mac has the same problem.
Confirmed IJ Scan utility and all Canon software is up to date.
Have reset the print system and readded the printer multiple times.
Also tried IP Printing. The print job seemed to go through and disappear from the queue, yet still nothing prints to paper.

Next business day I'll call Canon Support. Predict they'll tell me its out of support or something, and then another printer goes in the garbage can. Sad. I ditched a history of HP printers in favor of Canon to try to prevent this exact type of issue.

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Ladywell23
Apprentice

My printer TR 8500 suddenly stopped printing form my iPad and my Mac. How do I solve this please. 

jorbafett
Apprentice

I am having this issue as well. I just bought the TR8520 and after struggling to get it to connect I was finally able to get it to print on my iMac and my Macbook Pro. But today, I am unable to print anything because it says that my printer is in use, which it isn't.

I'd like a to see a real answer to this problem so that I can use the $170 dollar printer that I purchased. This should really be a plug in play scenario. Once its set up, I should be able to print with out going through so many hoops. As of right now I would not recommend canon printers to any of my colleagues. Hope Canon stands by their product.

Hi jorbafett,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please dial 1-800-OK-CANON, 8am - 8pm EST, Monday - Friday.

kmh270
Apprentice

Did you ever get a solve for this? Mine just started doing this yesterday! :(((

Announcements