cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR7020 SNMP won't respond

compata
Contributor

My TR7020 has SNMP enabled but won't respond to a simple query. So far as I can tell, there is no way to change the community name from "public".

# nmap -sU jprint -p161
161/udp open snmp
MAC Address: 6C:3C:7C:1A:17:C4 (Canon)
# snmpwalk -v2c -cpublic jprint .1
Timeout: No Response from jprint

What could be wrong?

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

Hi there,

What exactly are you trying to do? 
You can get the 64-bit Linux drivers & software from our site HERE.

This has nothing to do with printing. Printing with Linux CUPS works fine. I'm trying to monitor the printer -- network traffic, paper status, etc -- things which SNMP should be able to tell me. If SNMP is enabled (and the port being open confirms that), why won't the printer respond to a simple SNMP query? What's the point of having SNMP if it doesn't respond?

Bear in mind I'm not tech support, and our support team does *not* support Linux; however, thinking on this, I'm assuming (because I have no insider information) that perhaps this is how the printer communicates its status (ink levels, print queue, paper status, error messages, etc) to the Canon Software and drivers. 

This is beyond the scope of what Canon supports and would be something akin to developer access, which you can learn more about HERE.

While the printer does not respond to a general SNMP query, it does respond with an error message IF I ask for the OID which should represent the network interface:

Received SNMP response with error code
error status: noSuchName
OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1

That leaves the question of what OIDs the printer will answer.

The USER manual says that I can enable SNMP through the front panel of the printer. It certainly seems that implies a promise that SNMP will work. Although I'm using Linux, there is nothing in my question that is Linux specific. Please escalate this question to someone who can answer it.

Have you tried using the ip address instead of the mapped name of the printer?

I believe the correct syntax is:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c public ipaddress

No difference using the address.

This is definitely NOT a developer question; I have no interest in modifying the printer. And although I use Linux, this is not a Linux question, either. I'd just like a simple answer to how to make SNMP work. The printer claims to have it and the setting has it enabled. So, why won't it respond?

Is the community something other than "public"?

What OIDs will the printer answer?

I'll reiterate that Canon USA does not support Linux. 

The supported OSes for this unit are as follows:
Windows: Windows® 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1
Mac: Mac OS® X v10.10.5 - macOS v10.12 (Sierra)
Mobile Operating Systems: iOS®, Android, Windows 10 Mobile, and Amazon Fire devices26

And I reiterate: this is NOT a Linux question. Here is output from Windows showing the same problem.

snmpwalk -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.44.171 -os:.1.3
%Failed to get value of SNMP variable. Timeout.

This is about the printer. Why won't it respond to SNMP? What OIDs will it answer?

Announcements