cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Maxify GX1020 on a MacBook Pro M3 Pro

ruler
Apprentice

I have fought with my brand new Canon Maxify GX1020 for 3 days in a vain attempt to get it to print. I have tried Wi-Fi, Wireless Direct and Wired LAN connectivity. For some reason, the Wi-Fi and the Wireless Direct connections fail totally each time to connect the printer to my MacBook Pro 14", Apple M3 Pro, macOS Sequoia 15.0.1. I decided to use Wired LAN connectivity and failed with that for 2 days. I have read and repeated the SetUp sequence so many times that I almost had it memorized.

I run NordVPN constantly. For some reason, I had closed it down on the 3rd day of absolute, total failure with this Canon printer. Then I tried to set up the printer again on Wired LAN connectivity. I tried to print a page, and the MacBook found the printer and printed a page. I did three test prints that worked. Then I booted up NordVPN, and the MacBook could not find the printer. So I quit NordVPN and was able to print once again.

I have used a Canon Pixma MX922 for 10 years and have never had any issues of any kind - ever - until I had to buy a new MacBook Pro running the new Apple silicon and the macOS 15. Canon does not support Apple Silicon for the MX922. I understand the business case for that. I don't like it and have had to buy a new printer.

Now that I have the Maxify GX1020, I am not the least bit satisfied with it. Nowhere does it say that printer cannot connect with a MacBook through a VPN. I have spent 36 hours blindly following the online instructions that could have easily said: TURN OFF ALL VPN SOFTWARE to connect with your computer. 

If I can't run a VPN, I will return this printer for a refund.

If I have to use Wired LAN connectivity to print, it makes my laptop a desktop computer. Grounds for a return and refund.

I need to have Wi-Fi and/or Wireless Direct connectivity that works while I am using NordVPN if I am to keep this printer. Otherwise it is useless.

Can anyone give me answers to my problems before I reject this printer and start telling the world that it is not up to the Canon standards that I have lived with for <10 years?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements