cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Inkjet printers. Which is best - a photo and document printer requiring 2 or 5 cart.?

tensigeka
Apprentice

Hello,

Sorry if this seems obvious but I have never owned a printer before.

I am looking through the many Canon PIXMAs on offer (why do they have so many?). I just want something to print photos and documents (both colour and black and white).

I am aware of there being an issue where one cartridge in a printer runs out and the printer will not then print black and white only until that cartridge is replaced. The descriptions for CANON seem to imply that this does not happen with those printers that have 5 cartridges. Is that correct? So does it only happen when you have 2 cartridges? What should I be looking out for to know if a printer is going to do this before I buy it?

I'm a little lost with this. I've tried googling but all I get is the great inkjet vs laser debate and nothing useful.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a very broad ask and difficult to say definitively that one printer is best. (For you).  Budgets can vary widely.  

Between inkjet and Laser, inkjet will print photos which are more vivid, at the expense of ink and photo papers.  Laser prints will not be a true to life, but toner lasts much longer between replacements.  Each has its merits.

Inkjets with more carts can do color and gradients better than others with only 2 or 3 inks.  They are however costly, so you need to decide if the investment is worthwhile or if having photos printed professionally (occasionally) is more economical. 

Things to consider.  Will you be printing snapshots or large format prints?  With the exception of high end photo printers, the units themselves are not too expensive.  Ink and paper is where they get you. 

Mid-range.  Many of Canon's Mega-Tank printers offer a pretty decent value.  

If photo requirements are discerning, then one of their higher end photo printers might be better.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

The fundamental problem of inkjet printers using two cartridges has always been that if the color-ink cartridge runs out of one color, you are throwing away the other good inks by replacing the cartridge. That's why separate cartridges for each color is the way to go.

Announcements