Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer on and off continuously

NicolaeSfetcu
Apprentice

Hello,

The printer is MX495.

I did not us it for a while and today, when I started it, it turns on and off each 5 seconds.

All the printer buttons are blocked, including the power button (I cannot turn it off from the power button).

While the printer is on, no matter if I open or not the front cover, the cartridge holder moves continuously left and right without stopping.

There is a single word displayed on the display: ”Canon”.

Can you help me with an advice to eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Based on your description, I would recommend contacting our phone support team for additional assistance. They can be reached by logging into your My Canon Account and going to your support options.

Please be advised, if you are outside of the United States, I recommend contacting the branch of Canon for your region. You may find the correct website using the map on the Canon Global website: http://global.canon/en/support/

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

Not sure if you thought my note referred to your comment?- It didn’t-I definitely understood you were making a joke —a number of people actually were told they had to pay the $19.99 fee before they were put into the hold queue for ‘service’…..and then they were told to buy a new ringer….one person even posted in another thread that she bought a new printer and got it home and out of the box and when she went to set it up it did the same stupid power cycling thing we were all dealing with!…I see they now have released a firmware update that they say will fix this.  Very interesting since they also said this wasn’t a firmware issue….my printer is working for the moment, so I think i will wait to see some confirmation that the ‘fix’ doesn’t cause any new problem! - I really dislike installing firmware updates because if those are bad, they usually cannot be corrected and then you really do need to buy a new product!

Ah. I see about the $20. Ok. Didn't know that. Wow Canon! So from what the tech I talked to, who had been dealing with this non-stop since Tuesday told me, I think the firmware solution is total BS. The only way I give that any validity is that the update probably resets the DNS and Canon is just hiding this very simple solution inside that update. For some unimaginable reason. Probably because they have no idea how this happened and they haven't posted this easy fix anywhere and the longer this goes on the worse they look for it.  That's my 2 cents!

I tend to agree with you......and I am seeing some comments this morning that some people are trying the official 'fix' and still having problems...........and one person said he just powered up his printer while having all the network stuff off and his printer now works.......  so not sure about any of it right now..........

ArcticHighlande
Apprentice

Worked for my Maxify MB2320.  Had to clean the print head for some reason as well since it was leaving blank horizontal lines when I finally was able to print.  Had ordered a different brand of printer to replace it but was able to cancel in time.  I will not buy another Canon when it needs to be replaced.

To clarify - it was Sheri99's solution that fully fixed this problem.  The 'accepted solution' from ArthurJ did nothing to resolve the issue.  When I have called Canon support all I received was a recording saying they were closed and no info on when they were open.  Many thanks to Sherri99; their post was a solution that ended a multi-day nightmare.

GOWOKEGOBROKE
Contributor

Canon Maxify MB2320

Printer started power cycling when Canon screwed everyone else this past weekend.  I took the DNS "Fix" and instead of doing all of the steps I only....

1. Unplugged the printer
  2. Unplugged the modem ethernet from the router (You could also turn off router)
  3. Plugged in the printer, it turned on by itself, cycled and finally brought me to the menu without shutting off
  4. Plugged the modem ethernet back into the router
  5. Test printed from the PC, worked
  6. Test print from mobile, worked
  7. So far, so good

Printer bought in 02.2015 and have never installed a firmware update and whatever Canon did this weekend, it still affected mine

John11646
Apprentice

I had the same problem with my MX492. Signed in to Verizon G3100 router to search for printers wifi connection (in devices) to block it. Needed patience here as printer only showed as a connected device during the time it was trying to start up. Eventually was able to block the wifi connection in router. Unplugged printer then plugged back in. Printer started normally without wifi connection. Reconnected using printer WPS setup routine then unblocked the same wifi connection on the router. Test page printed. Scanner also working. Did not test fax function as I rarely use it. Did not have to reinstall drivers.

Hope this helps.

so when you reconnected the printer using the wps setup routine......did you stay in 'auto' mode.......or did you manually enter the settings? and if manual, what did you specify for primary router address? ........if you used auto, then it sounds like you didn't have to make any change at all other than doing the block on router to prevent the looping one time and reset the wps--which is the same thing that the 'workaround' does........   

I am really wondering what this 'firmware' update is going to do.....and whether i even want to install it now when the workaround worked for me ( I also have the MX492)- not sure what harm I have in leaving everything alone now, versus what risk there is in putting in this firmware change. Am always reluctant to install new firmware, since anything that gets messed up with a firmware change is usually fatal...and it sure is not clear how well this particular change has been tested or what it is really doing

Yes. I stayed in auto mode and made no network settings changes. I plan to download the firmware fix but not install unless the problem repeats.

thanks-- they sure have made a mess out of this!  I am a little out of date in some of my technical skills.... but I can't see any disadvantage of leaving the 'workaround' in place....and avoiding the risk of the firmware update going wrong.........I see comments saying that changing the ip address in the setup blocks the printer from accessing the internet...but that doesn't make any sense to me-- the previous setting was a default address anyway...and I don't know what the printer is needing to access on any internet sites anyway- I sure don't have it set to do any automatic updating of anything (old school - remember too many defective changes/11 haha)

Announcements