cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TS6320: Streaks when printing one-sided but not two-sided

brising
Apprentice

I'm having a baffling problem, which seems to have started when I changed a print cartridge. 

When I tried printing a text document one-sided, there were white bands through the black printing. The horizontal white streaks were about 2cm apart and usuallly 1/2 a line high.

I printed a test pattern. Perfect.

I tried printing the document again. Streaks.

I had been printing black-and-white, so I unchecked the black-and-white checkbox. Streaks.

I printed a test pattern. Perfect, again.

I printed off another computer. Streaks.

I tried turning the paper over, in case this particular paper had a better upside. Streaks.

I printed the document two-sided. NO streaks anywhere. Printing was perfect.

I printed one-sided again. Streaks.

I printed the document two-sided, again. NO streaks anywhere. Printing was perfect.

I copied the document from Pages.app (a word processor) to BBEdit (a text editor), and printed it. NO streaks.

I changed fonts, printed one-sided, etc. NO streaks from BBEdit.

I copied the docment to MS Word, and printed. Streaks.

So: have streaks sometimes, perfect printing other times, all replicable.

I did _not_ do any cleaning of the heads, because the test patterns and some of the prints were perfect, indicating that it is unlikely to be a print-head issue. The page sizes in the software match the size of the paper loaded in the printer.

As the title states, this is on a Pixma TS6320. Both computers were Macs, one using macOS 10.14 (High Sierra), one using 10.15 (Catalina). Both wireless.

Any hints about what is going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello brising,

From what you are describing, it looks like there is fine banding coming from the PGBK ink. When printing with two sided turned on, the printer uses a composite black which is a mix of cyan, yellow, magenta and the small black tank. When printing single sided sheets, the printer will use the PGBK tank.

Depending on how BBEdit processes the copied text and the media type that was selected, it can be sending the request using color information. To check the hardware, you can try printing a nozzle check using the steps in the link provided HERE.

If there are any lines in the PGBK, you will need to clean the print head using the steps provided HERE. You can also test the hardware by placing something on the glass and making a black and white copy with the copy set to plain paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

brising
Apprentice

As an appendix: after more reading, I found the usual restart everything answer. Tried turning off the printer and unplugging it for about an hour.

Still streaking on one-sided printing and not streaking on either test pages or two-sided printing.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello brising,

From what you are describing, it looks like there is fine banding coming from the PGBK ink. When printing with two sided turned on, the printer uses a composite black which is a mix of cyan, yellow, magenta and the small black tank. When printing single sided sheets, the printer will use the PGBK tank.

Depending on how BBEdit processes the copied text and the media type that was selected, it can be sending the request using color information. To check the hardware, you can try printing a nozzle check using the steps in the link provided HERE.

If there are any lines in the PGBK, you will need to clean the print head using the steps provided HERE. You can also test the hardware by placing something on the glass and making a black and white copy with the copy set to plain paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

OK, at least that explains the two-sided vs. one-sided printing. The PGBK wss the tank I had replaced, so that goes well with the timing of the streaks, also.

As for the nozzle checks: I have done 3 over the time I was testing, and even when the printing was streaking, the nozzle checks were perfect.

I also cleaned the print heads twice. This changed the streaking to gray smudging, so in was sort of an improvement, but nothing that fixed anything.

So... the problem is likely the nozzle. 

Thanks.

JHodges1962
Apprentice

I have an ImageClass D1350 and recently I started noticing a line across the page.  I went through all my usual cleaning as well as those listed in the manual and on the forum here.  The line is still there everytime I copy or print to the printer from my computer.  Any suggestions that I can try before calling someone to come out and repair?

Announcements