cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TR8620 Can't print or make connection - printer says it is connected to WIFI

69ChevelleSS
Apprentice

I have a Pixma TR8620a printer.  We have been having issues with printing from my laptop (Dell running Windows 11) and my wife's HP laptop (running Windows 10).  Both machines won't print as the Canon SW reports printer off line.  We have reset the wireless modem, both laptops and the printer.  

I removed the printer from my laptop and tried to reinstall the SW.  Install SW won't connect despite the fact that the printer says it is connected to the WIFI (59% signal strength).  I've disabled the IPv6 as per recommendations in other posts.  Install SW says "can't find any printers" and then when using the easy connect, it says connection failed.

We use Optimum Altice WIFI and are connecting to the non 5G version on both PCs and printer.

#TR8620a

4 REPLIES 4

Mike

Welcome to the Canon Community, 69ChevelleSS!

The most likely technical issue based off your description is your WIFI signal strength of 59%. Especially during the initial set-up, it would be helpful to move the printer closer to the router, if physically possible. Anytime signal strength is below 85% there can be issues such as delays in printing as precise data communication is key to successful results. Please let us know your results!

Thanks for reaching out!   

Hi Mike,

Thanks VERY much for the reply.  I tried moving the physical printer from the living room to the family room.  The modem/router is in the family room and the printer was in a direct line and maybe 25 feet from the router.  Laptop has no WIFI issues when accessing web sites.  I tried to run the install / setup and the program came back and said it could not find any printers.  Tried "easy connect" and it did find the printer.  The program then said "setting up" and ran for several minutes and said "connection failed".  Printer said "easy connect complete or successful".  Signal strength is 84% and the printer says it is connected to the WIFI.

69ChevelleSS
Apprentice

Still fighting this one.  Spent an hour on the phone with Canon Tech support and they diagnosed the problem as coming from the router.  Need to call the cable company and have them look at the router.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In these situations, you start by verifying basic connectivity.

Verify the IP the router has assigned to the printer

Verify the IP of one of the PC's you are using on the network

Next, can you ping the printer's IP from a command prompt.

If you enter its IP into a browser, does its webserver display

This is the basis for communication.

If this fails, you need to determine what is keeping the devices from communicating.  3rd party anti-virus software is a common example.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements