cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Sorry, i had to copy the instrux in order to paste them again here.

Okay, the SETUP MENU is on the printer. In order to get the printer to stay on to access the menu you must disconnect you wifi so the printer doesn't continue to interface with it. Once the wifi is off/disconnected, turn the printer ON. It will go thru the usual cycling and stay on. Slide the menu option until you see SETUP MENU. Then follow Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. The IP/DNS number will appear. I changed the last few numbers from 001 to 101 on my printer. Once changed, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Turn on your wifi again. Your printer should automatically "find" and connect to your wifi and function normally. Hope this helps.

Thanks.  I did all of that and it will work temporarily, then reverts back to recycling over and over.

I've updated my printer's firmware.  I've followed the steps listed.  It looks good until I send the first document to print - then it starts the loop all over again.  This is the most disappointing experience I've ever had with Canon.  I'm at the point of giving up and purchasing another printer, which won't be a Canon.  Do better Canon.

Okay, updating the firmware aside, did you try this: go to the SETUP MENU is on the printer. In order to get the printer to stay on to access the menu you must disconnect your wifi so the printer doesn't continue to interface with it. Once the wifi is off/disconnected, turn the printer ON. It will go thru the usual cycling and stay on. Slide the menu options until you see SETUP MENU. Then follow Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. The IP/DNS number will appear. I changed the last few numbers from 001 to 101 on my printer. Once changed, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Turn on your wifi again. Your printer should automatically "find" and connect to your wifi and function normally. Hope this helps

I did all those steps.  It appears like it works until you actually send something to print, then it starts recycling again.

Wow, I'm sorry to learn that you're still having an issue. This solution worked for me and I never updated the firmware yet. 😞

This doesn't work. You are still working under the policy that Non-Non-Canon inks will brick your printers. Dirty pool, Canon. Dirty, dirty pool.

Asettell
Apprentice

I had the same problem that all of you had. It was cycling off and on and I could only get it to shut off with unplugging it. I called the Canon telephone support line: +1 (800) 652-2666, and sat on the phone with Hans, who got the printer to act appropriately and then asked me to update my Mac and then call back. I did and then spoke to Bill … we went through many of the things Hans tried and finally what worked was going into printers and scanners under system preferences and then choosing the IP icon … we switch something to AirPrint & that is what made it all work … I had to wait on hold for along time, as they seemed busy. But they were both very patient with me and got my printer working! If you cannot get it on your own, I highly recommend scheduling a block of time to sit on the phone patiently with these folks and they will certainly do everything in their power to fix the problem. At least that is what they did with me today! Great job Bill and Hans!!! Thank you!!!!!

Asettell
Apprentice

Oh and I should mention that before I spoke with Bill, Hans had me go into system preferences and printers and scanners and then take the printer off the list with the minus button … my call with Bill was all to get my Mac to detect the printer … so we shut off a lot of stuff … unplugged and waited for 10 seconds etc. before going in to change that one spot to AirPrint … and also he said it had to be changed in the bar down below, but after about 5 seconds, my computer updated that field for me anyway, so I didn’t have to select the AirPrint option on that drop down … then it printed right after that. 

jonessummerjj
Apprentice

I accedently unplugged my printer by mistake, It is doing the same thing. WTF

Announcements