cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX452 stuck in initialization loop

printprob333
Apprentice

My Pixma MX452 is stuck in an initialization loop. When I turn it on it beeps, displays "Canon" in the display, and the scanner begins to move. Then it repeats this, endlessly. The only thing that stops it is pressing the stop button, but when you either press the power button again, or unplug it and re-plug it in, it does the same thing -- beeps, scanner moves, then all over again.

When I link my computer to it it indicates "Printer initialization is in progress", then acts like it's going to scan, then repeats the message. I've tried the hard reset I found on youtube (holding down stop and on button then pressing stop 5 times, etc.) but it has absolutely no effect.

How do I get it out of this loop? Any help would be appreciated, Canon customer service rep unfortunately refused to even talk to me, saying they don't support Pixma MX452 anymore.

4 REPLIES 4

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi printprob333,

I recommend performing a reset of the printer. While the printer is on, unplug the power cord from the printer and let it sit for 60 seconds. While the power is off, press the power button 5 times. After 60 seconds plug the power cord back in and power on the printer.

If that does not resolve the issue, the printer will need to be replaced since it has been retired and service is no longer available.

You do qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Hi,

Exactly the same problem with my Pixma MX525.

printprob333: do you solve your problem?

ArthurJ : How to reset a Pixma MX525?

Thank you

Drcaroline
Apprentice

have the same issue with the Cannon MX492 after a storm it decided to initialize and then cycles endlessly turning off and turning on and only displays Canon in the middle w/o any other buttons working. Unplugging and trying Hard Reset as above made no difference.  Curiously we had the exact same model and printer/scanner/fax as a back up and I plugged that in to replace it and I was able to scan the two documents I needed from my Mac only to have the "new" replacement Cannon MX492 ready and it too after successful scanning to my Mac decided to also go through endless loop initializing.  So odd as this unit never was plugged in during our storm but is going through the same initializing and behaves as though you can't reach it at all now. No function keys work.  Only unplugging it will give it a chance to cycle through again but it never goes back to functioning. 

Yay the Printer announcement dated 6/3/22 (2 days ago) just posted with an update driver (see top Right hand corner of this web page for the Announcement) indicated that the connection to the internet with the Printer was the key. The 2nd printer didn't go into this endless loop initializing until I had given it the Wi Fi Password for my internet so that was the issue that killed the 2nd printer/scanner MX492 that I owned as well.  So my youngest (born 1998) suggested that I try turning off our WIFI so we could see if the printer would at least stop initializing long enough for us to get this Driver Utility driver installed with the fix.  This was the key. The MX492 finally said something other than Cannon and quit turning off and cycling long enough for us to patch in the fix with the Printer Update Driver utility.  Thank you Canon. I'll go back and plug in my other Canon MX492 (when I have my WIFI turned off) and then update that one too later. 

Announcements