dirkdirk
Apprentice

What I've tried:

1. Windows 10 version 20H2 with KB5001649 installed as per here: 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&locale=en_US&id=ART179473

2. Set Canon MX450 series Printer WS Properties to:

Preferences > Quick Setup > check Grayscale Printing

Preferences > Main > check Grayscale Printing

Preferences > Page Setup > Print Options ... > check Disable the color profile setting of the application software

Preferences > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Settings > Ink Cartridge > Black Only

3. Print from Chrome, Adobe Acrobat, MS Photo with all printer settings I could find to mono-chrome / gray scale / black and white.

4. Replace black ink with brand new Canon PG-240.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WTSEGG

MESSAGES - before and after the above changes and restarting both computer and printer.

System - Ink levels low

Canon driver

- "Creating print data. Ink is running low. View the ink details."

- there's a circle yellow warning above the color ink icon.  Black has no warnings.

Print Que

- lists documents Name and Status is "printing" and Size "1.63 MB/1.64 MB"

- title of window is: "Canon MX450 series Printer WS - Toner/Ink Low"

HUNCH

1. Windows 10 seems to be sending the print data to the printer just fine.

2. The printer is returning a "color ink is low" warning.

3. Windows 10 decides "I'm not printing".

I've printed before in black only with the color cartridge low.  Only after updating to Windows 10 has this issue ocured. 

Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi dirkdirk,

Reinstalling will resolve this issue.  To do this, please disconnect the USB cable (if you are using one) and follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4.  Right click the Canon MX450 series and left click on Remove device.  Repeat until all MX450's are removed.

5.  Click 1 time on one of the other printers installed.

6.  At the top, click on Print Server Properties.

7.  Click on the Driver tab.

8.  Click on the MX450 in the list.  Click the Remove button at the bottom.

9.  Choose Remove driver and driver package and click OK.

10.  Click Yes and then Delete.

11.  Repeat until all MX450s are removed from the list.

12.  Click Close to close that window.

13.  In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

14.  In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

15.  Click once on "Canon MX450 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top.

16.  Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver.  When you click Complete,  the driver is uninstalled.

17.  Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1.  Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

2.  Click the Select button next to "MX450 series MP Drivers Ver.1.01 (Windows)".

3.  Click the Download button.  The drivers will download.

4.  Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder.  To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

5.  Double click "mp68-win-mx450-1_01-ea32_2.exe" to begin the installation.

6.  Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I followed these steps except for my MX459 and it didnt work. It says that a cartridge cannot be read and both are low but the unit says it cannot find a color cartridge which is correct. I only have black installed. Is there a work around? I only have a full brand new black cartidge 240XL installed. I dont want to buy a color cartidge at the moment. They're not cheap. Thanks

Hi elforbo1987,

The PIXMA MX459 must have both the black cartridge and color cartridge installed in order to use the device.  Inserting a color ink cartridge into your PIXMA MX459 will resolve this issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, 

Help please. My MX459 will not print with the new black cartridge. I push the black button & the document comes out red. The color ink is low, but not out. 

Also, when I print from my laptop, the black font documents come out brown. How can I fix this? 

Announcements