cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG 6120 not scanning in windows 10

Geommmm
Apprentice

I bought a new laptop (HP Stream 14) with Windows 10 installed. 

After installing the MG 6120 drivers from Canon the printer prints but will not scan. The laptop is saying that I need to install a driver. This happens when using the printer wirelessly or via USB.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and changing the compatipility settings of the driver installation to Windows 7 and Windows 8 with no success.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please try the following to see if we can resolve this issue:

1. From the Start menu, click Settings, Devices, Printers & Scanners.
2. Towards the bottom of the Printers & Scanners area, turn off Let Windows manage my default printer.
3. Once this has been done, reinstall the MP Drivers and MP Navigator EX scanning program from our website.

You may also have to delete any extra icons of the printer in the Printers & Scanners menu in the Control Panel.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

When I get to step 2 I cannot see any place to turn off "Let Windows manage my default printer"

Hi Geommmm,

We can put your computer in a selective startup mode to temporarily disable any applications that may be causing a conflict with the installation, then reinstall the drivers.  Once the printer is installed successfully and you can scan, we will put the computer back in a normal startup mode.  To put the computer in selective startup, please follow these steps:

1. In the text box to the right of the Windows Stat button, please type in msconfig.

2. In the System Properties screen that opens, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

3. Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

4. Click Apply.

5. Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button. Please ensure this checkbox is checked before proceeding to the next step.

6. Click 'Disable All'.

7. Click Apply.

8. Click Close.

9. Restart the computer.

When your computer restarts, you should be in Selective Startup mode. We will now want to reinstall the printer and software using the latest drivers from the Canon USA website. Please click here to go to the Drivers and Downloads page for the PIXMA MG6120. Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.

2. Next, below the red box labeled "RECOMMENDED DOWNLOADS", locate the MP DRIVERS file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a dark gray DOWNLOAD button will appear; below that, a checkbox will be shown asking you to agree to the terms of the disclaimer to continue with the download. Please click in that checkbox to agree to the terms. When you do, the dark gray DOWNLOAD button will turn red. Please click on the now red DOWNLOAD button; the file will start downloading. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

3. Once the drivers have been downloaded, please also download the MP Navigator program from the SOFTWARE section.

4. Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on the files and follow the prompts to reinstall the printer and MP Navigator program on your computer.

Once all items have been reinstalled, we will now want to put the computer back in a Normal Startup mode. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. In the text box to the right of the Windows Stat button, please type in msconfig.

2. In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.

3. Click Apply.

4. Click Close/OK.

5. Restart the computer.

Your computer should now be restarted in Normal startup mode.  Please try to scan again.  If you still experience difficulty, please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) and a Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks. After doing all these steps I can now scan by initiating the scan from the computer using the One-Click button but when I initiate the scan from the printer I get the message "Set the PC to start scanning".

This even happens when I have MP Navigator running on the PC.

Announcements