cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixima MG 5220 Non Responsive - Dead?

jaqueclarke
Contributor

Have been having difficulty keeping network connection with printer despite driver re install (worked for a while but soon failed again).

Now printer will not turn on at all.

We had a Power failure after new years but unit was OFF.
Wonder if a power surge when lights came back on might have effected it, but cannot find any re set button anywhere.

About to go buy a replacement and junk this Canon.  Too bad, as it used to work pretty well.

Is there any way to re set or repair this unit without putting the colst of a new one into it?

Just bought a bunch of new ink ctgs which may be wasted.   NOT happy!

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jaqueclarke,

To reset the printer, unplug the power cord from the printer and let it sit for 60 seconds. While the power cord is unplugged, press the power button 5 times. After 60 seconds plug the power cord back in and try to power on the printer.

If the printer still wont power on it would require service. It may cost more to repair the printer then it would be to replace it.

An option available to you is the Canon Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon's newest technologies, including such features as built-in WiFi, AirPrint and Cloud Print, carries a one year limited manufacturer's warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free ground shipping.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jaqueclarke,

To reset the printer, unplug the power cord from the printer and let it sit for 60 seconds. While the power cord is unplugged, press the power button 5 times. After 60 seconds plug the power cord back in and try to power on the printer.

If the printer still wont power on it would require service. It may cost more to repair the printer then it would be to replace it.

An option available to you is the Canon Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon's newest technologies, including such features as built-in WiFi, AirPrint and Cloud Print, carries a one year limited manufacturer's warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free ground shipping.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I also have a Pixma (MG5520) that suddenly went dead after printing 1 page of a two page pdf. Tried the unplug/press power 5X, try different room (!), etc.   From reading this forum, I conclude that this is a very common fault in the printer seen by many people, to which Canon is responding with "Check power, then take in for servicing - if printer is out of (short) warranty, you are out of luck."

Can this be true??  Hard to believe Canon would not remedy this. Customer Service?

When I first saw the response from the tech guy, I was like "You gotta be kidding!"

Looked more like a Vudu ritual than a real adjustment - but before we ran out & spent $100+ on a new printer (notice selling us a reconditionedunit was an option, but buying another CANON was not what i was in the mood for doing at that point) decided to at least give it a try.

Got out my watch with the second hand to time 60 sec. exactly, followed the odd instructions to a T (felt like I should be incanting some ritual chant in a strange, obscure sub saharan language and blowing smoke from some exotic insense on it while doing it).... and much to my surprise, when I hit the ON button, the bloody thing actually came back to life!

Try it again carefully ... with feeling this time! 

Maybe you left out the "Wudu and the Whahoo" or the "Walla-walla-bing-bang"?

May the force... or whoever is in charge of the mystical world of electronics these days... be with you!

I was genuinely moments from buying an entirely new printer but your response to the solution working gave me pause. I pulled out my stopwatch and followed the directions AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW, IT WORKED! It really does sound like some sort of sorcery and I almost can’t believe it worked, but it did. Thank you!

Announcements