cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 unusual PGBK alignment pattern

Doc_Ondrusek
Contributor

My MX922 suddenly started printing blurry black text. The alignment pattern shows a very unusual horizontal divergence pattern, almost as if it is an intentional pattern:

2021-0816_PGBK alignment pattern.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this pattern? Note how the first divergence (3rd row) forms a perfect inverted "V" - the double lines are perfectly vertical until the 3rd last row where the converge again in a perfect "V" shape.

This seems too "perfect" to be a faulty head; I'm suspecting a software or firmware issue. Anyone else ever see (and hopefully resolve) this?

Everything else about the print, including the other colors, all work fine.

Thanks in advance. Doc.

17 REPLIES 17

jf2004573
Apprentice

This is about the flow rate of the PGBK.  When the printer prints, it can't make a dark black line with one pass. So when it prints you get a stuttering effect. The solution is to flush PGBK.

That was the first thing I tried. Pulled the print head and super cleaned and flushed. No change. Besides, it is really unlikely that so many would have the exact same problem pattern. Flow issues would more likely be random.

S-Belly
Apprentice

I have a pixma MG5550 printer and I am getting the same problem for the last 3 months or maybe longer. When I do the test on the print nozzles the PGBK one shows the exact same patter as you. When print color its fine. 

The problem is when I print text, which I assume uses PGBK, I get like a double print ghost image every other line.

I have done an alignment and a deep clean as well as cleaning the encoder strip but it hasn't changed

S-Belly
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MG5550 and am experiencing the exact same problem. Cleaned the encoder strip. Gone through all the maintenance and nothing has fixed it. 

Welcome to The Canon Community, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation; however, we must let you know that the Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We can only provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market. The PIXMA MG5550 is a European exclusive. 

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thank you for replying and yes I am based in the UK but this was the first place I found where I saw people talking about the exact same problem I was seeing with my printer and I assumed the solution would be the same. However I will contact the equivalent forum in the UK but.....I will check here in case you guys ever find a solution

S-Belly
Apprentice

Okay so I managed to get through to tech support in the UK and they don't seem to be aware of this issue affecting a wide range of their printers either. I was first asked if I cleaned the encoder strip. "Yes"  They still sent me the instructions. Then they said it was probably the printer head and that the printer would need to be sent in for repair. Sadly I imagine the advisor was just going through a script and wasn't the expert as advertised.

Just to rule out the encoder strip again..If there were smudges on the encoder strip then would we just see error (double printing) where the smudges are? Not the full width of the page every 20cm.

When a printer prints with PGBK does it print left to right then feed the sheet then right to left? if this is the case could there just be a fault printing in one direction? Just assuming a print head is 20cm in width. Not sure if knowing that would help find a solution. 

Sadly I think I will leave it there as I imagine the cost of repair will be more than a replacement

Frapman
Apprentice

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and this is my second Pixma MX922.  Both developed the same problem.  No amount of cleaning, aligning, etc. will fix the problem.  As stated, it is only with the black PGBK cartridge no matter if it is Canon OEM ink or a compatible ink.  Has Canon fixed this issue yet since they are acutely aware of the problem?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements