cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 Ink Absorber Full & Loud Noise

debor19071
Contributor

Wondering if someone can help us on our MX922 with a cartridge for each color. We had a print head issue awhile back, and that was fixed. Now it's the ink absorber full and it keeps coming up now repeatedly. My husband didn't think there were ink absorbers. I need instructions on getting out of this repeated scenario. And for an unknown reason when the printer is getting ready to print a LOUD NOISE happens each time, sometimes twice, how would we troubleshoot this one?.. I need to look at the ink cartridges for the absorbers more later today. I had been ignoring the message until it came up over and over last night.  I'd appreciate your insights on this.

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi debor19071,

The waste ink absorber is a part inside of your printer that absorbs excess ink used in the cleaning and printing operations. Printing can be performed until the waste ink absorber becomes full. When the message changes to indicate that the waste ink absorber is full, printing cannot be performed and the printer may need to be serviced.

Canon recommends having the printer serviced before the absorber becomes full. We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" Web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset.

If your PIXMA MX922 was purchased less than a year ago, please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat to obtain your in warranty options. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

If your PIXMA MX922 is out of warranty, you are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It appears to be that the waste ink counter needs to be reset since the printhead was recently replaced with a genuine Canon printhead. The printer is not under warranty anymore. We already  purchased a new printer through the Upgrade Program at Canon.  We will continue troubleshooting. Thank you for your reply!

And the new Printhead has new ink absorbers.. Feel free to reply again if needed.

@debor19071 wrote:

And the new Printhead has new ink absorbers.. Feel free to reply again if needed.

Greetings,

The ink absorber pads are located near the bottom of the printer.  The printhead does not have ink absorbers.  

Printhead                                                                 

shadowsports_3-1658267105664.jpeg                 

Ink Absorber Pad                                    

shadowsports_4-1658267196720.jpeg

Servicing can be messy and you also run the risk of breaking or introducing other issues during re-assembly.  Then the service counter has to be reset in order to continue printing.  The utility is not available to the general public and what you might find on the internet may or may not work.

While possible, this service can be tricky.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the pictures, we will follow-up on this on the weekend.

This is an old printer and we are not going to send it out and pay exorbitant prices for it. You Tube etc. is helpful.. Frankly we are not too happy with all the errors built into the MX922!

Please read the whole thread if possible, as I'm having to backtrack re-explain alot in replies to clarify over and over.

We found the ink absorbers, on the right on the frames and removed both. And the absorbers fill up right after cleaning an reinserting. My husband wanted to go under that to see if more cleaning could be done. We were not aware of the ink absorbers and have been "overusing" the printer for a few years.  It appears that the printer will not be getting service since it's way over 1 year old. And hard to find specific instructions for MX922. We already purchased the Upgrade printer, but love the MX922 barring all these issues (i.e. scanner etc).  We have a Maxify printer (new) but still attached to the MX922 for it's easy to use scanner etc.

debor19071
Contributor

We'll work through it on the weekend. Thanks. We're aware of the difference in the printhead and the ink absorbers so didn't need that explanation but thanks for the pictures etc. I'll re-review your posting later.

Announcements