cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2522 Ink running out too fast

subcine23
Contributor

I have a MG2522 printer that runs out of ink way before its stated page count. I'm primarily printing black and white documents that are a majority of text. It seems to be an issue with this printer. Is there any settings or work arounds to have it work correctly. 

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

I see you mentioned you mainly print black and white text. If the color is running out when print black or white text, make sure grayscale is not selected. 

When grayscale is selected for prints, it uses both the black and color ink cartridges. Also, for any other prints, makes sure the quality is not set to high. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

subcine23
Contributor

I think the solution was discovering there is a larger ink tank for this printer. I had the standard ink tank and there is an XL tank with around 500 print count. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, subcine23!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using within the PIXMA MG2500 series.  You'll find this on the top of the printer just above the power button.  That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

subcine23
Contributor

It is a Pixma MG2522. The ink in the cartridges are running out way under the stated print count. It seems to be running out faster with the color cartridge. It's so bad it's making the printer unusable. 

subcine23
Contributor

Still looking for a solution to this. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I see you mentioned you mainly print black and white text. If the color is running out when print black or white text, make sure grayscale is not selected. 

When grayscale is selected for prints, it uses both the black and color ink cartridges. Also, for any other prints, makes sure the quality is not set to high. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

subcine23
Contributor

I think the solution was discovering there is a larger ink tank for this printer. I had the standard ink tank and there is an XL tank with around 500 print count. 

So this did not fix the problem. Even with the XL tank I probably only got 60 pages printed before getting the low tank alert. Any idea what the next steps are here, or is this printer not usable. 

Hi,

I recommend reaching out to Canon support. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

How about a class action law suit?  That might get someone's attention about this problem with the MG2522.  I've had my MG2522 for 18 months and I've never been able to print more than 20 sheets color or black and white without replacing the cartridges.  I just replaced both with new XL on May 16th, 2024 and printed 4 black and white and 1 color page .... both low ink level lights just came on.

I use the scanner function mostly and could probably get by without printing....but this kind of printing performance is absolutely the worse I've ever seen.

THIS IS NOT AN END USER PROBLEM.  This is a problem with printer!

We encourage you to reach out to support if you have verified you're using GENUINE Canon Ink in your printer. It would seem the Walmart site does not carry any of our ink, so you will need to get it from us directly.  You can find the different ink packs HERE. If you find you're running out of ink very quickly, a larger cartridge is recommended. If you have questions, reach out to our sales team at 800-385-2155.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements