cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA IP8720 Will Ink Nozzles Still Work After Six Months?

livenow
Apprentice

Hello 
I will leave for 6 months away from the printer and wonder if the ink nozzles will be blocked when I’m back ? Should I wait to install the ink when I’m back from this long period of time ? 
i heard it can block and I don’t want to waste money and ink. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are going to be leaving the printer idle for six months my suggestion would be to remove the print head from the printer and seal it in a small Ziploc bag to minimize the likelihood of the ink drying out. Maybe even put a damp paper towel in the Ziploc.

When you return reinstall the print head, install the ink cartridges and run a nozzle check.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are going to be leaving the printer idle for six months my suggestion would be to remove the print head from the printer and seal it in a small Ziploc bag to minimize the likelihood of the ink drying out. Maybe even put a damp paper towel in the Ziploc.

When you return reinstall the print head, install the ink cartridges and run a nozzle check.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I know this is a necro-post but... I strongly disagree with putting a damp paper towel in with the print head. For short term storage, maybe, but is it necessary then? For long term storage - let's say many weeks - definitely not! The problem is the possibility of mold growing in the moisture. Unless the bag, print head, and moisture are sterile, there's a chance something will grow, and clog the head. Not good!

Better to recap the carts (you did keep those funny orange caps, right?), tuck the head in a sealed bag (hoping whatever residual moisture exists doesn't cause problems), and run the cleaning process when re-activating the printer. 

At least the iP8720 print head can be easily accessed, unlike the printer my iP8720 is replacing. 

DISCLAIMER: Follow the advice contained above at your own risk. Have a nice day. 🙂

All is not as it appears. For example, salt looks like sugar.

livenow
Apprentice

Wow thank you ! Good idea ! 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements