cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New laptop + old printer = there is no desktop icon????

dmwaslg80
Contributor

Hi all,

Any help would be very appreciated as I am beyond confused.

I've got myself a new(er) lapttop and I am trying to connect my printer (Canon Pixma MX430). I didn't have the disc it came with so I followed the set up instructions from Canon's website. All went well except the Canon menu icon is not on my desktop and I don't know how to get it there. As you can tell I am not tech savy but I have tried to Google this issue and can't seem to find an answer. I've set it up correctly as I can print (if I go from the Menu, File, Print way) but I want the icon on my desktop as I don't know any other way to use the scanner.

TIA

Danielle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it's a different icon but I can scan straight from there so that'll do. I came across My Image Garden when I was looking this stuff up so I'll have a read when I have a bit more time to see if that's any good for me. Basically I have thousands of photos that I need to scan as we are emigrating and can't bring hundreds of photo albums with us.

Thanks again for all your help, I couldn't have sorted this without you! I will mark as solved now.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Hi HalLeonard, no the Quick Menu isn't on my desktop and that's what I want. I downloaded the MX435 software from Canon's website. I plugged the printer into the USB and pop ups happened so I went through them. At one point the pop ups said to insert the disc but if I didn't have it then to click on the link, which took me to Canon's website. I redownloaded it again, for MX435, just in case I did it wrong the first time.

Also I believe that MP Navigator EX may be the Canon scanning software you're used to and looking for.

If you go here

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mx_seri...

you can download the manual for your MX435. Run that program, and it will install a Canon MX430 Series On-Screen manual in your Start menu under Canon...

Open that manual and click the "+" sign next to Scanning, and see if MP Navigator EX is what you're trying to get going.

/just saw your latest post. We'll get Quick Menu back too.

I got the scanner to work, finally. I am so happy right now. Thank you HalLeonard so very much. Woooohoooo!

Great!  I'm so glad to hear it! Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have the icon on the desktop that you want? Can you start a scan from the desktop without digging around in the Start area?

On your old laptop, you may have been using MP Navigator EX to get the scanner going, but Canon has since replaced that program with a new one they call My Image Garden. Or maybe MIG's the program you had before anyway.

If you're happy using My Image Garden to start a scan, if it does what you want the way you want, then I'm happy.

If on the other hand you prefer the old way of scanning, you may be able to get that back. I don't think MP Navigator EX is included in downloads anymore, but there may be a way. Let me know if you want to try.

You can mark the question Solved if you consider it solved.

No, it's a different icon but I can scan straight from there so that'll do. I came across My Image Garden when I was looking this stuff up so I'll have a read when I have a bit more time to see if that's any good for me. Basically I have thousands of photos that I need to scan as we are emigrating and can't bring hundreds of photo albums with us.

Thanks again for all your help, I couldn't have sorted this without you! I will mark as solved now.

ajeet4u1989
Apprentice

HI Dmwaslg, The icon should be there, you could not find it. Click your arrow menu located at bottom right on taskbar you will able to see it. If your taskbar is hidden you have to make visible taskbar and find the printer icon. Second method is by using contorl panel. Find control panel in windows, printer icon will be there.

Announcements