cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 software for scanner issue

tkrueger3
Apprentice

I love this printer.  Do not like the software that comes with it.  One of the things I do most often with the scanner part of the printer is to scan both sides of a check for electronic deposit in my bank.  The first thing I found was that my bank requires the check images to be in jpeg format.  I like to scan the checks in black & white to reduce the "noise" in the image.  Unfortunately, the Canon scanner software will not allow scanning into a black & white jpeg, only to a PDF.  Why?  That's one of the most basic things to do with a scanner, but your software won't allow it.   Seems quite bizarre to me.  I also have not found any option to set the DPI value for my scans.  Nor will it allow me to designate a destination folder for the image.  I am searching for an alternate software solution that will provide the options that I need, rather than assuming that I'm too stupid to know what I want.  Has anybody found a better software solution for the scanner?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi tkrueger3,

You can scan items in as black and white JPEGs, adjust the DPI, and choose the save location of the item by using the ScanGear scanner driver, accessible via the IJ Scan Utility program that comes with the printer. To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Open the IJ Scan Utility.

2.  On the bottom right corner of the window, please click the SETTINGS button.  This will open the Settings (Auto Scan) window.

3.  On the left side of the window, please click SCANGEAR.  This will display the Settings (ScanGear) pane in the right side of the window.

4.  Locate the Data Format field in the Save Settings section in the right pane of the window, then select the JPEG/EXIF option.  Next, please click the SETTINGS... button next to the Data Format field, then select the JPEG/EXIF option from the "Format for Item Detected as Document in Auto Scan:" and "Format for Item Detected as Photo in Auto Scan:" fields, then click the OK button.

5.  In the Save In field, click the drop-down box, then select ADD.  This will open the Select Destinaton Folder window.  

6.  In the Select Destination Folder window, click the ADD button, then navigate to the folder where you would like to have the scanned items saved.  If you need to create a new folder to save the scans into, please click the MAKE NEW FOLDER button.  Once the location has been selected, please press the OK button.  You should now see the folder you have selected in the Select Destination Folder window.  Click the OK button again to close out of the window.

7.  Locate the Application Settings section of the window, then click the DO NOT START ANY APPLICATION option.

8.  Click the OK button to close out of the Settings (ScanGear) window.  You will be taken back to the main IJ Scan Utility window.

9.  Click the SCANGEAR button.  The ScanGear window will launch.

10.  Click the ADVANCED MODE tab at the top right of the screen.

11.  Locate the Input Settings section, then click the drop-down box next to the Select Source field and select the PLATEN option.  

12.  In the Color Mode field, click the drop-down box to select the BLACK AND WHITE option.

13.  Locate the Output Settings section, then in the Output Resolution field, click the drop-down box to select the desired DPI.  Please note that the higher the DPI selected, the larger the file size will be.

14.  Click the blue PREVIEW button at the bottom of the window to preview what the image will look like when scanned, then make any changes needed.  Once you have made the changes, please click the green SCAN button at the bottom of the window to initiate the scan.  

The item will now be scanned and saved to the location specified above.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi tkrueger3,

You can scan items in as black and white JPEGs, adjust the DPI, and choose the save location of the item by using the ScanGear scanner driver, accessible via the IJ Scan Utility program that comes with the printer. To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Open the IJ Scan Utility.

2.  On the bottom right corner of the window, please click the SETTINGS button.  This will open the Settings (Auto Scan) window.

3.  On the left side of the window, please click SCANGEAR.  This will display the Settings (ScanGear) pane in the right side of the window.

4.  Locate the Data Format field in the Save Settings section in the right pane of the window, then select the JPEG/EXIF option.  Next, please click the SETTINGS... button next to the Data Format field, then select the JPEG/EXIF option from the "Format for Item Detected as Document in Auto Scan:" and "Format for Item Detected as Photo in Auto Scan:" fields, then click the OK button.

5.  In the Save In field, click the drop-down box, then select ADD.  This will open the Select Destinaton Folder window.  

6.  In the Select Destination Folder window, click the ADD button, then navigate to the folder where you would like to have the scanned items saved.  If you need to create a new folder to save the scans into, please click the MAKE NEW FOLDER button.  Once the location has been selected, please press the OK button.  You should now see the folder you have selected in the Select Destination Folder window.  Click the OK button again to close out of the window.

7.  Locate the Application Settings section of the window, then click the DO NOT START ANY APPLICATION option.

8.  Click the OK button to close out of the Settings (ScanGear) window.  You will be taken back to the main IJ Scan Utility window.

9.  Click the SCANGEAR button.  The ScanGear window will launch.

10.  Click the ADVANCED MODE tab at the top right of the screen.

11.  Locate the Input Settings section, then click the drop-down box next to the Select Source field and select the PLATEN option.  

12.  In the Color Mode field, click the drop-down box to select the BLACK AND WHITE option.

13.  Locate the Output Settings section, then in the Output Resolution field, click the drop-down box to select the desired DPI.  Please note that the higher the DPI selected, the larger the file size will be.

14.  Click the blue PREVIEW button at the bottom of the window to preview what the image will look like when scanned, then make any changes needed.  Once you have made the changes, please click the green SCAN button at the bottom of the window to initiate the scan.  

The item will now be scanned and saved to the location specified above.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I am attempting the stated solution on a Mac, however ScanGear does not appear to be an option.  I am looking to set a scan DPI above 600 dpi, as the stated maximum dpi is 2400 x 9600 .  Please provide any assistance available.

elus89,

Use the Scangear option in the IJ Scan Utility program.  Once there, click the Advanced Mode tab.  After previewing an image, you can select higher DPI options or manually type in your desired DPI setting.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Announcements