cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 - Lines in scan, darker areas, uneven lighting. Is this thing shot?

T-Mac
Contributor

ScanImage573 adjusted.jpg

This is with the scanner bed, not the document feeder. The light bar that moves across the scans isn't lighting evenly. I scanned the empty, white scanner bed to show the dark areas (I adjusted the contrast to make it more visible to illustrate my point). Anyhow, everything I scan has uneven lighting with visible lines in it. I didn't see anything in maintence to help. Is there anything I can do? 

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its uncommond for lamps to fail incrementally, but they can.   Usually they just work, until they don't..

If you are certain you don't have a setting that might be causing this, perform this test. 

Some models allow you to run a scan operation with the lid fully open.  Does the lamp look visibly dimmer on the ends?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, I can run the scanner with the lid open. Visually, I can't tell a difference in brightness across the bar. It just is really bright to look at. Even tried taking a photo with my dslr with the aperture stopped down. Keep in mind, the scan I posted above had the levels adjusted to make the lines easier to see. Sometimes too subtle to see until you notice a faint line going across one photo and then into the next. I actually didn't notice until after a few scans, then started backtracking through them to see when it started. Here's a scan of a cat calendar. Those vertical lines are not supposed to be there. I've tried defaulting the settings, it didn't help. Any specific settings I should try? 

ScanImage574.jpg

Hi T-Mac,

Would you please provide some additional information regarding the scanning issue:

• Does the same results appear when scanning using the document feeder?
  • Is the unit plugged directly into the wall or is it plugged into a power strip?
  • Does the issue persist if the unit is relocated?
  • What is your computer's operating system? (e.g.Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.14.x)
  • Is the unit setup wireless or with a USB cable?
  • If the unit is setup wirelss, would you print out the network configuration page and provide the following information. Click HERE for information on printing the network configuration page.
    • Signal Strength (preferably higher than 80%)
    • IPv4 IP Address (should start with either 192, 172, or 10)

• @Caemene wrote:

Hi T-Mac,

Would you please provide some additional information regarding the scanning issue:

• Does the same results appear when scanning using the document feeder?
    • Is the unit plugged directly into the wall or is it plugged into a power strip?
    • Does the issue persist if the unit is relocated?
    • What is your computer's operating system? (e.g.Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.14.x)
    • Is the unit setup wireless or with a USB cable?
    • If the unit is setup wirelss, would you print out the network configuration page and provide the following information. Click HERE for information on printing the network configuration page.
      • Signal Strength (preferably higher than 80%)
      • IPv4 IP Address (should start with either 192, 172, or 10)

The document feeder produces a scan that is too low of quality to discern. Photo quality is required, not document. Originally it was plugged into a strip, but I tested plugging it into the wall and then moved it across the room. No improvement. Windows 10. Printer is setup wirelessly, IPv4 192.168.0.112, at 96% signal (router is in the same room). Funny how a printer with an lcd screen won't just list that on the display. 

Quality has further devolved since my last reply, more irregularities in image brightness. Again, levels are tweaked in Photoshop to easily show the problem. This edit is applied to the entire document, not just certain areas. 

ScanImage577.jpg

Sorry for the double post. The scanner itself is the problem, this isn't some configuration issue as far as I can tell. I have two of these printers. One of them was exiled to storage because it wouldn't print anymore. I dug it out. It scans, and there are no issues with dark areas/uneven lighting. See attached image, bottom 2 have had level adjustment to further show the difference. That means that I have 2 of these that have failed in different ways. The first failed right outside of warranty. Why did I buy another identical model? It died during a time crunch, and it was the only option locally that had a disc printing feature. I did buy the extended warranty this time around through the store itself, so I'll be getting yet another. I'm not guaranteed to get the exact same model, maybe... that is a good thing. ScanImage579 compare.jpg

Hi T-Mac

I appreciate you replying with the information I requested, many thanks. With the issue the printer is experiencing, it may require servicing. I recommend contacting a Canon technical support representative, click HERE to obtain contact information for additional assistance. A representative will be happy to further assist you.

Announcements