cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 printer gray ink

lgodby
Apprentice

I have a MX920 printer. can you tell me what the gray cartridge is used for and what slot it fits in?

3 REPLIES 3

HalLeonard
Contributor
The Pixma MX920 series printer, MX922 anyway, uses five tanks of ink CLI 251 cyan, magenta, yellow, and black for photos, and a PGI 250 black for documents.

For confirmation: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=FAQ100343&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

The MX922 does not use a gray ink tank. There is no place to install one.

Some other Canon inkjet printers take six tanks, including gray. It's an additional color refinement for photo prints. With a printer that doesn't use it, like yours, it's okay; you can still make very good prints without gray. If you have a CLI 251 gray tank and no slot to put it in, you can discard it.

I hate to throw away perfectly good ink. I received a 251 gray ink cartridge for my MX922.  Can I use it when my small black tank is empty? 

@wegolf wrote:

I hate to throw away perfectly good ink. I received a 251 gray ink cartridge for my MX922.  Can I use it when my small black tank is empty? 

I wouldn't because I want my color photo prints to have the contrast and color I've dialed in with editing software. I'd expect this would reduce contrast in dark areas of a photo or artpiece. For less critical print jobs, it might not matter. You could try it and see what you think. That's odd that Canon is shipping this printer with an ink tank it can't use!

Announcements