cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 printer. Often unresponsive and have to constantly pull out plug

rickcr
Apprentice

I'm having the worst time with this printer. I have the latest software/drivers installed on 3 computers (two Macs, one windows 10.)  "most" of the time the Mac seems to print ok, but even then I'll often get the fun alert that you're not connected to the printer. The windows one works sometimes as well, but again it often can't connect. 

The most frustrating thing is often when it can not connect, I can not even shut down with the power button. It's complete frozen and I have to disconnect the power cord. Upon reconnecting the power and having it boot it up, it then works fine.

I'm comfortable with router configurations is there anything I can do on that end to help things? It's extremely frustating.

4 REPLIES 4

Ramona
Authority

Hi rickcr,

Disabling the Wireless LAN DRX and IPv6 settings on the printer may resolve the connection issue you are experiencing. To do this, please follow these steps:

Disabling the Wireless LAN DRX setting

1. Press the MENU button. If your printer does not have a MENU button, please proceed to step 2.

2. Select SETUP, then press the OK button.

3. Select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button

6. Use the arrow buttons to select WIRELESS LAN DRX SETTING, then press the OK button.

7. Use the arrow buttons to select DISABLE, then press the OK This will return you to Other Settings menu.

Disabling the IPv6 Setting

1. Press the MENU button. If your printer does not have a MENU button, please proceed to step 2.

2. Select SETUP, then press the OK button.

3. Select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

6. Use the arrow buttons to select TCP/IP SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

7. Use the arrow buttons to select IPv6, then press the OK button.

8. Use the arrow buttons to select YES at confirmation screen [LAN communication may be disabled depending on your

environment. Set this setting?] then press the OK button.

9. Use the arrow buttons to select ENABLE/DISABLE IPv6, then press the OK button.

10. Use the arrow buttons to select DISABLE, then press the OK button. This will return you to IPv6 settings menu where you can press MENU to exit to the main menu.

If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative for further assistance by entering your product name and selecting a support method here. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Printer was completely locked up again today unresponsive to even trying to power it down... had to pull out plug.

So I'd say there is still an issue.

However, I 'think' it might be keeping it's connection better to the windows laptop that was having an issue. Hard to say since we haven't a lot of heavy usage as of late.

This is stil such an issue that about to go all "Office Space" on this printer in my backyard. Once a week at a minimum I have to pull out the plug to reset this printer. On top of that, if that's not a problem enough, when it is working, it'll often say "This printer is in use by someone else," yet every other computer in the home has nothing in the queue and since they're all laptops they're asleep as well. 

Then when it is working for our macs in the home, my daughter's computer typically can not print. I'd say only about 20% of the time she can successfuly print.

No issues with the print quality or anything like that, it's just the darn networking on this thing is just so bad. I've set up everything in the instructions as above as well. 

Hi rickcr!

Thanks for reaching back out to us!

If you've tried all of the troubleshooting steps above, we suggest reaching out to our US-based support team for more in-depth one-on-one troubleshooting. They're available by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 10am to 10pm (ET) during the week.

Announcements