cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX410 Stuck on Color

samiamuc
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MX410.  Recently I replaced the black ink cartridge, but, since I don't really need it, I left the old nearly empty color cartridge in.  Now whenever I print anything, evne though I go to the printer propertires, then to maitenance, and then chagne the color settings to black only, when I hit print it pops up a window giving me the options to print in color or cancel printing and it says theat the settings in printer properties>maitenance will be overridden.  If I print only a couple pages like this, they come out in purple (when they should be black) , which isn't too bad.  However, when I try to print out more than just a couple pages, they start printing in a hard-to-read reddish-pink.  Where do I have to go to change it to black only in the settings?

4 REPLIES 4

Barbie1
Apprentice
Try removing the black cartridge, shake the ^&%^ out of it & reinstall it...it might also be clogged , clean with a alcohol coated Q-tip , allow to dry a few minutes, and re-install.. BTW, was it a CANON cartridge, I've tried generics, they never work well !

@Barbie1 wrote:
Try removing the black cartridge, shake the ^&%^ out of it & reinstall it...it might also be clogged , clean with a alcohol coated Q-tip , allow to dry a few minutes, and re-install.. BTW, was it a CANON cartridge, I've tried generics, they never work well !

It's not a problem with the cartridge, it's somewhere in the settigns it's stuck on color and will only alow me to print in color.  I can make Black and white copies just fine, no problem there.  And while it is an office depot cartridge, it says canon and has the canon logo molded into the bottom.

Hi samiamuc,

A test should be performed of your PIXMA MX410. The Nozzle Check pattern shows if each print head nozzle is operating properly. Please perform the following steps to print a Nozzle Check pattern:

1. Press the OPEN button to open the Output Tray.

2. Load letter-sized, plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder or the Cassette Tray.

3. Press the COPY button.

4. Press the MENU button repeatedly until MAINTENANCE is displayed in the LCD.

5. Press the left or right button until NOZZLE CHECK is displayed in the LCD, and then press OK. The nozzle check pattern is printed.  Please compare your printout to the example that has been attached to the bottom of this post.

If the page prints incorrectly, printhead cleanings should be performed. Please follow the instructions below to clean the printhead:

1. Press the MENU button repeatedly until MAINTENANCE is displayed in the LCD.

2. Press the left or right button until CLEANING is displayed in the LCD below MAINTENANCE, and then press OK.

After 3 or 4 cleanings, print another test page. Does the test page print correctly?

If the test page printed correctly, reset the printer driver settings:

1.  Click on Start and then Control Panel.  If you are using Windows 10, right click the Windows Start button and then click on Control Panel.

2.  Click on Devices and Printers.

3.  Right click the PIXMA MX410 and left click on Printing Preferences.

4.  At the bottom of the Main tab, click the Defaults button.

5.  Click Apply.

6.  Click on the Maintenance tab at the top.

7.  Click on the Ink Cartridge Settings button.

8.  Change to Both Black and Color.

9. Click OK.

MX410 Nozzle Test.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, but it still has the same problem.  When I print, I get the following error message:printing in color only.PNGIf I click okay, then it prints in color only which really uses up my color cartridge quicker than I'd like.

Announcements