cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX 492 won't recognize new paper setting

phold
Contributor

I am running MX492 on my mac (Monterey 12.6.3). I printed 4x6 photos, after spending an hour attempting to set the new paper setting/paper type (from previous US Letter/Plain). Now I want to switch back to US Letter but I keep getting the 2110 error. My Mac states exactly this paper size/paper type. I have changed the MX492 (via Menu/Setup) to US Letter/Plain and the LCD screen notes "Copy Letter Plain Paper"...but I keep getting the 2110 error.

Very frustrating. Is there a new driver I need, if so, please send me a link.

I have never have experienced these type of unresolvable issues with the MX492, always been able to switch paper settings/type. But this is really non-user friendly.

Can you help?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Phold! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you have a Mac computer that is running macOS Monterey Ver. 12.6.3 and you are getting a 2110 error when you try to print to your Canon PIXMA MX492.

To start troubleshooting, I recommend that you perform all the steps listed in the following section of the manual:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MX490%20series/EN/BG/bg-loading1400.html

You will need to pull the cassette out and push it back in. After you push the cassette in, the screen should display the message mentioned in step 8 for a few seconds. Please press the OK button right away and proceed to step 9.

If the message disappears before you get a chance to press the OK button, you will need to pull the cassette out and push it back in. Then, press OK immediately afterwards. After that, you can use the screen shown in step 9 to select a paper size and type. It should match the size and type you are loading.

If you do change the size and type, you can try printing again. If the size and type in that window is already set to the paper you are using, you may need to reinstall the CUPS Printer Driver on your computer. To find the drivers and software for your printer, please visit the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mx492

When the website opens, please click on SOFTWARE & DRIVERS to the right of the picture of your printer. Then, make sure that the website is detecting the correct operating system and version in the section titled DOWNLOADS. You should see the word MAC under Operating System and MacOS Monterey 12 under version.

The website will show you 8 of 11 programs available for your printer. For this printer, you need the MX490 series CUPS Printer Driver (first one listed). Please click on the DOWNLOAD option for that driver. When it finishes downloading, please open it and double-click on the icon that looks like a cardboard box. After that, you can follow the instructions that pop up to install the driver.  

After you install the driver, you will need to add a new copy of the printer to your computer’s Printers & Scanners window. To open that window, click on the Apple icon (top left corner of screen) and select SYSTEM PREFERENCES. Then, click on the Printers & Scanners option.

When the Printers & Scanners window opens, you’ll see the current copy of your printer on the left side. You’ll need to delete it by clicking on it and then clicking on the MINUS (-) button on the left or under the box that shows the printer’s list. Once the printer is deleted, please click on the PLUS (+) button. When the Add printer appears, please click on the Canon IJ Network version of the printer. If that doesn’t pop up, you can select the Bonjour version, but please make sure that you see MX490 series in the box marked USE before you click on ADD.

If you are still getting the error, please press OK when you see the message. Then, make sure you see USE CASS. SETTING at the bottom and press OK again. The printer should then start printing using the paper size and type that is registered to the cassette.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

Hi Again,

A new twist: appears with the new drivers, one can no longer copy/print a single page of paper manually, simply using the platen and pressing "black" (or ink color). One now has to scan from the platen and take multiple steps, to scan/save/rename etc, and then one can print that one piece of paper.

Another trial and error  time-consuming process courtesy of canon.

phold
Contributor

Thank you for your response. I installed the driver after hours of actions described in your document.

Appears that each time apple does a new IOS name, a new driver is necessary.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements