cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7520 will not stay on

Englishguy24601
Apprentice

My cannon MG7520 printer will turn on and start to go through its normal routine, but then unexpectedly turns off. The power cord has been checked, unplugged and replugged. Same result. Looking for other solutions if there are any.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94

xxVOXxx
Contributor

UPDATE EDIT (WORKAROUND):
To temporarily fix your printer until we figure this out do the following:
1. Turn off your home WIFI Router.
2. Turn on your Canon PIXMA (it will now remain on as normal).
3. Navigate to SETUP / DEVICE SETTINGS / LAN SETTINGS / CHANGE LAN
4. Select DISABLE LAN & plug your printer in directly via USB to your computer (If possible) for now.
5. Turn your WIFI Router back on.

Your printer should now be fully functional but off the network. I don't have a way to test if it works by switching to Ethernet LAN but if someone can try it please let us know if it is only a WIFI issue.  Thanks to @5150 for testing that the issue persists via LAN/ETHERNET.  Also for those who haven't seen it, @Italolima posted a DNS workaround that keeps the printer on the network without connecting to the internet HERE

------------------------

Also happening ONLY TODAY on my PIXMA MG7520, turns on for about 30 seconds and turns off. Display reads CANON.  I initially turned it on today to do a scan and after powering on correctly, I was getting error messages from the IJ utility that it could not find the scanner.  It keeps turning off now as all these other posts describe.  Stock firmware never upgraded, has worked perfectly for years until today.

I tried a hard reset:

-Power off printer
-Hold STOP button for 2 seconds (if it is not illuminated, hold 1 inch to the left of the edge of the touch panel and center to the screen)
-Hold ON button for 2 seconds while still holding STOP button.
-Release STOP and press STOP button 5 times.
-Release both buttons and wait for the printer to go through a process. Noise will stop and screen will be on but black.
-Press POWER and printer will go through another process then shut down.
-Press POWER and printer should start up normally.

This temporarily gets it to start up normally but then gives the error "Power was not turned off correctly the last time. Press the (Power) Button when turning power off. OK"

It then shuts itself off again.  What is the phone number for support? I am not finding it after having to register the device cannot find the number still.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

The phone number I found on Canon Support is 1-800-652-2666. I called and after putting in my phone number, I was told I no long qualified for support. You can pay $19.99 to get support. 

Same prob here in Canada with my MG7520 which was running just fine.

Surely this isn't some sort of $19.99USD Canon scam is it?

I just tried a test that disconnected from the internet but kept my router on. If you want to try  it for yourself, your router my have internet button or disconnect your modem by either powering it off or unhooking the cable to the router depending on your configuration. Anyway, without have a “live” internet connection, the printer worked without issue. I turned it off and printed from my phone again without issue. As soon as I re-connected to the internet it stopped working. Something is communicating with this printer causing it to freeze and shut down. I assume it’s coming from Canon but at this point I would be guessing. Give it a try!

Great experiment thanks for trying this. It could be that the printer is "phoning home" to Canon on startup and that's when the error happens.  But WHY is the local network printer even accessing the public internet in the first place? This seems like a security risk.

Yeah, really! At first, I thought it was going to an issue with the auto firmware check but at some point I disabled that after they stopped years ago. Also, I believe there’s an automated quality report feature amongst other hidden gems in the printer menu. It’s been so long since I’ve checked any settings because it just worked. Canon doesn’t seem to be worried about supporting older products which is why I hope it’s something easy on their end.

I tried the work around listed above, and my printer did turn back on, after dealing with the same shutting off problem that other people are having.  Thank you for that assist.

Thanks for the temporary workaround - I was ready to throw this printer in the trash!  

Meligirl68
Apprentice

I’m having the same issue, it worked just fine until today, 5/31/22…what the heck?!

RickKennedy
Apprentice

I posted earlier - my MG7520, when turned on, would flash the touch screen and then turn off a few seconds later. Unplugging and replugging the printer power plug did not help. Plugging into a different outlet did not change things. Then I took a poster's advice: I unplugged my ROUTER. I turned on the printer. It stayed on, and showed the WiFi icon light, even though the router was still unplugged (?). But, when I plugged in the router power cord again, the internet came back (ha) and the printer stayed on, as normal, with the WiFi icon still lit. Just printed something just fine. I have no idea why turning the router off/on solved the issue, but it was a lot cheaper than buying a (reduced price) new printer. Thank you, Community! 

Announcements