cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5220 is there a 'black only' mode

philr
Apprentice

I VERY rarely print in color. I choose "grey scale" because I do not see a "black only" choice. And yet my printer consumes color cartridges far faster than I would expect using this technique. QUESTION #1 Can I print in "BLACK ONLY" somehow, or QUESTION #2 Am I doing something else wrong? Tks, Phil

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi philr,

Selecting the grayscale option in the printer driver will utilize the large black ink tank in the unit to print the text on the page; however, the other colors in the unit will be used to print the text/items on the page if the following conditions exist:

1.  You are performing duplex (two-sided) printing.

2.  A paper type other than plain paper is selected in the printer driver.

3.  You are printing a document that requires color ink be used.

If any of the above conditions exist, the colors inks will be used to produce the text/items on the page, even if the grayscale option is selected.  Also, our printers have a print head cleaning function that is performed automatically as needed to ensure the inkjet nozzles are dispensing the ink correctly.  This process uses a small amount of all inks in the printer.

In addition to selecting the grayscale printing option, you can conserve the amount of ink being used by the printer by selecting the FAST print quality setting.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your explanation of grey scale printing. 

Do I take it then, that the answer to my question "IS THERE A BLACK ONLY MODE" is 'no'?

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

There is not a specific 'Black Only' mode as you are requesting.  To print in black and white, please use the Grayscale option.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements