cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ip8720 won't complete driver install in Windows 11

cglynn2010
Apprentice

Bought this printer and can't get it to install in Windows 11 via USB. Install process says that the "printer is detected" then just sits there until it says "printer not detected". "Try unplugging and reinserting cable, restart computer, etc."...nothing works. "Support" said its a Dell issue, that my ports aren't working properly on my brand new Alienware i7 that has 3 other fully functioning printers currently connected to it. They were absolutely no help beyond telling me to plug it in again and restart my computer. Wouldn't even admit that it could be a software/driver compatibility issue with Windows 11. When will an official Windows 11 driver come out for this product?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok got this one finally figured out and created my own workaround.   The windows 11 driver still refuses to install but if when the driver installation detects the printer and then fails 2 mins later you simply cancel the installation.  Then go

1) using winrar or some other zip utility uncompress the exe file into a directory.  

2) go to control panel add devices and printers and manually add a printer

3) don't let it search for your printer just manually add a cannon pixma ip8720 printer

4) say have disk and go add the driver manually yourself selecting the newly created directory. (note I didn't have to do this as the driver was there now from the failed install but if not this should simply select the driver)

5) printer installed now you should be able to say print test page.

6) if you want all the apps rerun the exe full package installation again but do not select the first box which is driver install.  - It still fails to work.  just install all the software components after the driver install

7) done.  Of course this is a Dell or Microsoft problem right? at least that is what support tells you but this kind of proves all theories wrong. It's not your USB port. it's not the PC it is the application and how it detects the printer or whatever it is doing and this proves it and fixes the issue.    

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Windows 11 drivers were made available 10/4/2021

What driver are you trying to install?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

pappabees
Apprentice

installed updated driver for windows 11 and still it just disconnects half way through the install.  If you unplug the usb and plug it back in printer detects and starts process all over then 2 mins later disconnects.  Guess its time to buy competitor that works on my alienware R12 if this is all you get back.    seems like their missing something here since my brother laserjet works great.  I found an epson wide printer for my wife.  So the question is if it there is no help for getting this resolved I guess its on to ones that don't require WPS for networks and can't update win11 after 6 months time.   Is there newer drivers than the one mentioned here?  Is there some way to make this work or is this printer just to old (LOL) for new stuff.  for instance can't get it to connect wirelessly to my Google nest either since new routers don't support wps and the phone app never detects the printer either. 

ok got this one finally figured out and created my own workaround.   The windows 11 driver still refuses to install but if when the driver installation detects the printer and then fails 2 mins later you simply cancel the installation.  Then go

1) using winrar or some other zip utility uncompress the exe file into a directory.  

2) go to control panel add devices and printers and manually add a printer

3) don't let it search for your printer just manually add a cannon pixma ip8720 printer

4) say have disk and go add the driver manually yourself selecting the newly created directory. (note I didn't have to do this as the driver was there now from the failed install but if not this should simply select the driver)

5) printer installed now you should be able to say print test page.

6) if you want all the apps rerun the exe full package installation again but do not select the first box which is driver install.  - It still fails to work.  just install all the software components after the driver install

7) done.  Of course this is a Dell or Microsoft problem right? at least that is what support tells you but this kind of proves all theories wrong. It's not your USB port. it's not the PC it is the application and how it detects the printer or whatever it is doing and this proves it and fixes the issue.    

I just registered to respond to you and say THANK YOU. What a headache! Seriously, it's honestly sad how there's no support for this and it's an ongoing issue that they don't seem to want to fix. I installed it on a brand new PC with a fresh windows install and it never got past the "Printer is detected" step. Pretty unbelievable how this was the only workaround... definitely going with an Epson next time.

There's a slightly easier way. When you go to drivers page. Scroll down and download the driver by itself, not the package. I did that both for the "plain" driver and the xps driver. I ran the "plain" driver install first. When it paused I turned printer off, unplugged the USB cable from back of printer, plugged cable back in and turned printer back on. That did the trick. Once that was done I then installed the XPS version of the driver and that one went without a hitch!

UPDATE!: Unfortunately, that didn't work well as the Windows 10 Registry behaved badly, perhaps because of previous attempts that might have partially worked. After clearing the registry I found the best solution was to unplug the usb cable from the printer with printer turned off but plugged into AC.  I then installed, using the full package install (not the the two individual driver downloads),checking only the IJ driver and XPS driver boxes. When it got to the dialog box where it says to connect and then turn on the printer I only plug in the USB cable but do NOT turn on the printer. The process finishes and everything works. Of course the printer needs to be turned on for printing but apparently, in standby, the install works! Whether it works in Windows 11 is another matter. Although I personally had no problems on my Windows 11 Lenovo Thinkpad doing a USB install a couple of months ago.

On Win 11 this didn't work for me unfortunately... Still detected/derp/not detected... 

😞

olive11251
Apprentice

Manually adding it as suggested above is the ONLY way I got this to work.  I had usb connections, and tried wifi, nothing was working period.  I have never endured such a headache of adding a Canon Printer in 16 years of using them.  What a hot mess Canon!  Please fix this so that we can install the dang thing.  If I didn't have the experience I do with a computer and your printers, I would never had gotten this connected.  I suggest you update your install methods and trash the disc option all together. 

OH my god this is the last thing I want to deal with right now

Nothing has worked on this printer so far period its like buying a money drainer. I would love to sue you guys if I can. I had a heart attack a couple weeks ago and just wanted to update my stuff and this is just insane. This took up so much of my time, energy and patience and has stressed me out to the fullest extent for something that should be SO easy. Setting up a printer.....

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements