cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off the printer's colour management (Pixma TS8052 with a Mac)?

hextrovert
Apprentice

Hi, I'm having some trouble printing photos. I'm using Lightroom and Photoshop on a Macbook Pro running High Sierra. The colours are printing too saturated, almost neon. (I'm using Canon inks and Canon semi-gloss paper.) I've tried converting the image to different colour spaces and it hasn't helped. From what I've been able to find online, it looks like the problem is that the printer's color management is clashing with that of Photoshop, so I need to disable that. However, when I'm in the Print Settings dialog, I'm not getting "Color Options" or "Color Matching" in the dropdown menu, and I'm completely at a loss how to fix this.

Here's the image from Canon's manual, showing the setting I need to access: canon.jpeg

Can anyone help?

EDIT: Also, the profiles for Canon paper are not appearing in the print dialogs anywhere, even after reinstalling the printer driver. I'm wondering if the two problems are related.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hextrovert
Apprentice

Just wanted to update this because I found the solution in the Adobe forums and it was NOT easy to find!

So it turned out that the Canon driver software was not installed properly when I first set up the printer. Apparently, if you turn on the printer before you've downloaded the driver, your Mac uses its own generic driver with that printer, even once you download the proper ones from Canon. The Mac driver obviously doesn't have the Canon paper icc profiles and it also doesn't have the colour management options.

The solution was

1: turn off the printer

2: delete the printer from the Mac's system preferences

3: download the Canon driver again

4: the Canon setup assistant will tell you when to turn the printer back on and re-add it to the network. 

If you do it in this order, you should find you have the right version of the driver software running, complete with the Canon icc profiles, colour options, etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

hextrovert
Apprentice

Just wanted to update this because I found the solution in the Adobe forums and it was NOT easy to find!

So it turned out that the Canon driver software was not installed properly when I first set up the printer. Apparently, if you turn on the printer before you've downloaded the driver, your Mac uses its own generic driver with that printer, even once you download the proper ones from Canon. The Mac driver obviously doesn't have the Canon paper icc profiles and it also doesn't have the colour management options.

The solution was

1: turn off the printer

2: delete the printer from the Mac's system preferences

3: download the Canon driver again

4: the Canon setup assistant will tell you when to turn the printer back on and re-add it to the network. 

If you do it in this order, you should find you have the right version of the driver software running, complete with the Canon icc profiles, colour options, etc.

I know the answer below is a little old now, but I have just bought a Pixma TS8250 in Europe and any reference to color matching in the print dialog box is missing. I have tried doing what is mentioned below but it doesn't work at all. 

In Photoshop it reminds me to turn off printer color management but there is no way or no where I can do this. 

I am so disappointed with Canon and Apple right now. Clearly something is going wrong with the current 'AirPrint' only system where you cannot install a 'real driver. 

If anyone knows how I can solve the problem soon, I'd be very happy. Other wise the Pixma is going back for Epson.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, Brom did you find the solution, I'm fighting with this issue and can't solve it my self, best regards.

I’m having that problem now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What hextrovert said worked. However, when adding the printer, and presented with a list of printers, you'll see a "Canon ... Bonjour Network" and a "Canon ... Canon U Network." Select the latter one. And then in the box that says "Software" (at bottom of dialog window) select "Canon U Network" also.

In my case, I have a Pixma MX922, but the steps are the same.

Announcements