cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop my printer using coloured inks when grayscale printing

MarkUK
Contributor

Hi

This one is puzzling me... I have been doing a very big print run... 2500 plus sides of music for my choir!

I have my MG7751 set on Grayscale and Duplex and the print out is fine BUT, as well as getting through a couple of large Pigment Black cartridges, I have also used about half of each of the colour.. photo black and grey cartrdges (All XL)

Been right through the settings and cannot see any other way of stopping it using coloured ink... let the cartridges run to empty but then it cuts out and tells me to change them.

This is irritating.. something that I have to do quite regularly but I should not be using up my expensive coloured inks!

Just printed a coloured image... ticking the greyscale box... guess what ... come out in dull colour... what is happening? Is there anything I can do to sort it?

Just spotted the existing  thread... seems I am not the only one

I would add that the pdf I am using is of black and white music notation.... no colour anywhere and printing using grayscale and draft settings on A4 plain paper. Still watching my cyan and yellow going down......  been into settings and set colour mode to manual and colours to zero... still using them up. Think I need to buy a BW printer for next time.

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, MarkUK!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thanks for posting!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your product appears to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA.  The Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Ridiculous... how am I meant to know that the MG 7751 is only sold in the UK. This is meant to be the Canon forum and my problem is clearly something that is a problem with many of your models.... including those sold in the US and you don't seem to be helping them very much.

Hi MarkUK,

The PIXMA MG7751 will use color ink tanks to print colored text. Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MG7751 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black. This is why your color ink cartridges are being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements