cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7020 - should I set it to leave the power on 24x7?

david07666
Enthusiast

I have a new G7020 and notice that it automatically shuts off after 4 hours of idling (the Auto Power setting - which I can change).  I am aware that other printers perform head cleaning operations automatically even after long idle periods (e.g., I have a friend who has a professional mnodel ink jet by another manufacturer and when his business went to zero due to COVID he left it on anyway to save the print head and in the 24 months that it "did nothing" it went through more than a tank of ink cleaning itself!).

So my question is, should I disable Auto Power to save the heads over the long term?

autopower.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4

CanonCannon
Contributor

Hi david07666 (or anyone else), looks like this went unanswered.  I have the same question.  What did you decide to do?  I'm thinking about turning off the Auto Power Off feature.  From the factory it was set to 240 minutes, and the Auto Power On feature was disabled.  I'm not sure how wifi works then, after the 4 hour shutdown, unless the printer doesn't truly power off all the way.  Other than using some additional electricity, any harm in turning off the Auto Power Off feature ?

hmm, found this interesting link.  I wonder if allowing it to automatically power off put the print head into a more desirable storage position ?   It seems like this information should be more easily ascertained.

CanonCannon
Contributor

shoot, I forgot the link I meant to share.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART175779

david07666
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. It's helpful and implies that, unlike some other brands, when the unit is OFF, it's really off and does not undergo period cleaning cycles.

FWIW, I use it often enough that I set the printer to turn off after a couple of hours or so.  I'm never gone for a month.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements