cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon dead printer epidemic

Chappers
Apprentice

I have a Canon IP8750 printer that became dead. No signs of power. No LEDs, no reaction to the power button being pressed (or any button).

Google searches indicate this is an epidemic. Canon are silent on the issue and still churning out printers that suddenly become dead.

The power supply is fine, outputs are normal, although there is no control signal coming from the printer’s main board to turn the power supply fully on out of standby.

So, it’s a main board (or logic board as seems to have become popular) issue. Of course, no circuit diagrams (schematics) are available making it virtually impossible to fault find. Especially as it might be firmware-based rather than a physical failure.

Canon will know the cause, of course. But it’s the modern way to admit nothing.

CANON, why not do the right thing and say what the cause is and release schematics!

Have any engineers discovered the cause?

2 REPLIES 2

Chappers
Apprentice

I have discovered the cause — it isn’t good news.

There’s a voltage rail short to ground, normally supplies the eeprom W25Q64FVSIG with its VCC on pin 8.

The short is in IC101 which is a BGA integrated circuit, part number UPD811014-G21-A. I cannot find a datasheet for it, nor a supplier. Academic anyway as it is z as programmed chip.

Removing the IC resolved the short-circuit, confirming IC101 as the cause.

So, an expensive printer for the scrap heap. Shame. Cause of the internal short in IC101 is unknown but probably a weakness in the chip.

So, now you know. If your Canon printer is dead, check for this short then bin it if present and buy another make of printer.

Chappers
Apprentice

IMG_6290.jpeg

Announcements