cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MX472 All-in-One - Scanner did not install

WebPixie
Apprentice

I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on my Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC. When I tried to scan something I found that the scanner was not installed!

Does the scanning function work with Windows 10?

Any suggestions for what I need to do next?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

WebPixie
Apprentice
More detail...
I installed Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (version 1909; OS Build 18363.592) on my Dell XPS 8900 desktop at the first of the year. I had some trouble installing the printer but it finally did get itself installed. The trouble I had was that it didn't want to install with USB only but I thought I finally got it to do that. The wifi light was on after I completed the install (it may have been on before that too), so I went into settings on the machine itself to turn it off. The printer has worked fine ever since but when I went to scan something the other day, I found I had no scanner!

When I go to Devices and Printers in the old-fashioned Control Panel app, I see the following:
Canon MX470 series FAX
Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
OneNote
SendTo OneNote 16

So it looks like the only thing recognized as Canon was the Fax! And there is no scanner at all!

The filename for the Canon installer/driver I used was mp68-win-mx470-1_02-ea33_3
I went to the Canon USA website and found two other drivers:
win-mx470-1_1-acd.exe
and
mp68-win-mx470-1_02-ea33_3.exe

So now I am totally confused. What's the difference between the two?

Should I uninstall and reinstall the drivers from Canon for the PIXMA MX472?
I have Revo Uninstaller. Should I use that if I uninstall?

Which drivers should I install if I uninstall?

Is there another way to get the computer to recognize that the printer is also a scanner?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer suggestions for what to do next!

Hi WebPixie,

Please disconnect the USB cable from the back of your PIXMA MX472 and then follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on the keyboard and the letter R and then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  In Control Panel, please click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on the view).

4.  Right click the Canon MX470 series Fax and left click on Remove device to remove that icon from this window.

5.  Once gone, please click on Control Panel in the upper left corner (or the Back button).

6.  In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on the view).

7.  In the list of programs, if you see Canon MX470 series MP Drivers, click on it one time and then click Uninstall at the top.

8.  Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall.

Once gone, please restart the computer.

When the computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1.  Use the following link to access the downloads for your PIXMA MX472:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

2.  Click the Select button next to "MX470 series MP Drivers Ver.1.02 (Windows)".

3.  Click the Download button.

4.  Once the download is complete, please open your downloads folder and double click "mp68-win-mx470-1_02-ea33_3.exe" to begin the installation process.

5.  Follow the prompts to install the drivers, reconnecting the USB cable when prompted by the installer.

Once installed, to scan, please click on the Windows Start button in the lower left corner and then the Canon Utilities folder.  In the Canon Utilities folder, click on the IJ Scan Utility.  You can use this application to scan with your PIXMA MX472.

For more information regarding the IJ Scan Utility, please use this link:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/W/MX470%20series/1.1/EN/SU/Top.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements