cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MP495 - How to reset absorber counter?

GKCZUBA
Apprentice

I have an older Canon MP495 and just replaced both ink cartridges with brand new cartridges. Now I am receiving the error message 'ink absorber full'.  How do I reset the absorber counter please?

I have already purchased a new printer to replace my old one, but I hate to waste the ink in my old Canon MP495. I have several projects I could print out to use up the ink, then I will be a happy printer!

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The ink absorber is not a user serviceable part.  Try google for a solution.  Note, after removal, cleaning, drying and reinstalling the absorber, the ink counter must be reset.  Software to do this is probably available for download, but not from Canon.  Other solutions might exist but nothing officially supported by Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

The ink absorber is not a user serviceable part.  Try google for a solution.  Note, after removal, cleaning, drying and reinstalling the absorber, the ink counter must be reset.  Software to do this is probably available for download, but not from Canon.  Other solutions might exist but nothing officially supported by Canon.  

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  We were able to remove the absorber and clean it.  After putting it back into the printer, we tried several solutions to reset the counter. So far, nothing has worked.  As soon as we turn the printer off and on, the alarm lights up again.  We will keep searching to see if we can find some software as you mentioned.  Thank you.

Hi GKCZUBA,

The waste ink absorber is a part inside of your printer that absorbs excess ink used in the cleaning and printing operations.  Printing can be performed until the waste ink absorber becomes full.  When the message changes to indicate that the waste ink absorber is full, printing cannot be performed and the printer may need to be serviced.

We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" web sites that offer instructions for making this repair.  Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure.  Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset using a software utility that has not been made to the public, as it is proprietary software.

If you are able to find someone locally, please keep in mind that the costs associated with having this service performed may exceed the cost of a brand new printer.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No thank you.  I have already bought another printer and it is not a Canon.  Shame on Canon for deciding when a printer is old and forcing a consumer to look for a replacement!!  To be clear, my Canon printer was working just fine until Canon software decided I needed a new printer.  I will NOT be your hostage!!

@Patrick wrote:

Hi GKCZUBA,

The waste ink absorber is a part inside of your printer that absorbs excess ink used in the cleaning and printing operations.  Printing can be performed until the waste ink absorber becomes full.  When the message changes to indicate that the waste ink absorber is full, printing cannot be performed and the printer may need to be serviced.

We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" web sites that offer instructions for making this repair.  Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure.  Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset using a software utility that has not been made to the public, as it is proprietary software.

If you are able to find someone locally, please keep in mind that the costs associated with having this service performed may exceed the cost of a brand new printer.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Announcements