cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG2900

LenM
Apprentice

Hello All - I have been using the subject printer trouble free for at least 4 years.  My laptop OS is Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.

Today, the print queue came up as normal, showing the printer as ready, I sent the print job to it, it responded in the normal fashion, but after about 10 seconds, returned a message stating 'Printer not responding.'  I have tried to print MS-WORD as well as pdf files with similar results.

MG2900 (01).JPG

MG2900 (02).JPG

I have tried restarting the printer (several times) as well as my laptop, with no change.  There are no trouble codes being displayed on the printer, only the blue WiFi indicator.  I can see the device on my WiFi mesh network as connected.  I even restarted my home network gateway, but it had no impact on the issue.

It has served me well as a printer, copier and scanner; if at all possible, I'd like to continue to use it.  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you verify the IP your mesh router has assigned the printer, and compare it to what the the laptop is using to communicate.  I'll bet they are different or set incorrectly.

I see below that your printer is using LPT1 as its communication interface.  This is a dedicated port that I'm quite sure does not exist on your laptop.  Its possible the canon software might be using this interface in some sort of emulation manner, but it sounds unreliable.

It should be using (listed) as WSD or IP, this will be much more reliable.

Start by assigning the printer a static IP on your network.  This can be done on your mesh system and will ensure persistency. Printer gets the same IP every time. 

Now uninstall the printer, restart your system and re-install the device.  If you are familiar with adding interfaces to windows, you can do that and change the port the printer is using to communicate from LPT1 to the IP port.  If you are not comfortable doing this, uninstalling and reinstalling can accomplish the same thing.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you verify the IP your mesh router has assigned the printer, and compare it to what the the laptop is using to communicate.  I'll bet they are different or set incorrectly.

I see below that your printer is using LPT1 as its communication interface.  This is a dedicated port that I'm quite sure does not exist on your laptop.  Its possible the canon software might be using this interface in some sort of emulation manner, but it sounds unreliable.

It should be using (listed) as WSD or IP, this will be much more reliable.

Start by assigning the printer a static IP on your network.  This can be done on your mesh system and will ensure persistency. Printer gets the same IP every time. 

Now uninstall the printer, restart your system and re-install the device.  If you are familiar with adding interfaces to windows, you can do that and change the port the printer is using to communicate from LPT1 to the IP port.  If you are not comfortable doing this, uninstalling and reinstalling can accomplish the same thing.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your response and suggestion.  After I posted the issue, I did reset my eero mesh network.  That seemed to reconnect to the printer, showing the same IP address as before and exhibiting the same issue.  Interestingly, the mesh network showed two IP addresses for the printer.

On your advice, I tried to delete the LPT port on the print server, but could not do so (it wouldn't let me).  I then removed the device completely, reinstalled it and VOILA!. it works as it did before.  In looking at the IP assignments, there is now both an IP4 and an IP6 address shown on the mesh network.  The LPT port on the print server now shows as blank.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry!

Len

Announcements