cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install TS9120 CUPS driver on MacBook M1 Pro; firmware not updating

SierraB6
Apprentice

I just switched to a MacBook (M1 Pro processor) from a Windows 10 laptop. My TS9120 installs as an AirPrint device, no problems, but I need it to do a full (CUPS driver) install in order to access the advanced printing features and ICC profiles. I have tried several different installation methods and have referenced Wrong Driver Used When the Printer is Added in macOS 12 and Update your printer software if your printer has a printing problem on Mac with no luck. The printer does not show up in the Select Software pop-out menu (no Canon devices do) and even when I select USB connection for the installation, it still shows as an AirPrint once I've finished walking through the steps. 

I spoke with Apple's customer service. They no longer support printer driver downloads on Monterey and suggested that there may be a compatibility issue of some kind between Canon and the M1. I read through the threads that are already on this forum referencing any M1 issues but nothing matches my situation. 

Separately, my printer is not recognizing that there is a firmware update available. It keeps telling me that it is up-to-date at 1.13 even though I can see that there is a 1.14 release on Canon's website.

I feel frustrated and stuck. Any ideas for a resolution? 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't think you will be able to use anything other than AirPrint driver.

Doesn't look like Canon has supported that printer on macOS for a few years.

Screenshot 2022-09-06 082329.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for your reply!

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi SierraB6,

As John said, the PIXMA TS9120 uses Airprint to communicate with your Mac, CUPS drivers are not available.

More information regarding printing can be viewed here:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/M/TS9100%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-printer01_01.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your reply!

Announcements