cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"An internal error has occurred." - Trying to connect to EOS Utility

DannyNeumann
Apprentice

Hi folks. I have a Canon 5D Mark II. I tether it to my computer and use EOS Utility 2 for Remote shooting. I've not had a problem for years. Today when I opened EOS Utility and clicked "Camera settings/Remote shooting" I am getting an Error window that states simply: "An internal error has occured."

My computer is a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running Mojave (10.14).

The only thing I've done is change the internal hard drive. But used Carbon Copy Cloner and everything else is functioning smoothly.

Thanks much for any help!

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 5.37.22 PM.png

6 REPLIES 6

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

That's a pretty generic error so it would be hard to say for sure what i causing it, but the first thing I would check is if the USB communication works outside of EOS Utility. Can you try using Mac's Image Capture program to try importing a few images to your Mac?

1) Click on the Finder icon in your dock (the square smiley face with a line down the middle).

2) Select Applications.

3) Image Capture will be listed in here, double click it to open it.

4) Once Image Capture is open connect the camera and computer with the USB cable. At that point Image Capture should see the camera and begin showing the photos.

5) Once the photos are loaded in you can select the folder you want to save to at the bottom of the window and you can import with the Import button in the bottom right of the window.

Thanks very much, Mark35mmF2. I didn't even know about the Image Capture app! I did open it and it was able to see my camera. So I don't think the USB cable is the issue. Also, I have EOS Utility set to open automatically when the camera is connected and it DOES lauch when I turn my camera on. 

Really appreciate the reply. And, yeah, I wish that error message was a little more specific!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is probably crashing because the EOS Utility is a 32-bit app, which are no longer supported ny Apple.  I think all 32-bit apps have been retired or obsoleted by Apple.

Try downloading and installing updated copies of the EOS Utilities.  I think the EOS Utility 3 has been updated to include manu cameras that formerly used the EOS Utility 2.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks much, Waddizzle. I did think that maybe it had to do with out-of-date software. So I installed the latest "Digital Photo Professional" (even though I don't really use that). When I click the Utilities tab I get a message saying "There is no utility for the OS version you selected" ...

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 8.10.31 AM.png

When I scroll down the list in the "Software" tab, the latest EOS Utility I see there is:
EOS Utility 2.14.31c for Mac OS X

I'd see there is a version 3 but I can't find where I can download it!

Try selecting the 5D Mark III, and install the EOS Utility 3.  It seems installing EOS Utility 3 is supposed to updated EOS Utility 2 at the same time.

39D63F26-1E1C-4447-8FCF-E1C712187985.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle – THAT WORKED! Thanks so much, my friend. Really appreciate you helping me out.

Announcements