cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video and Audio out of sync ( lag) with Zoom, Youtube Live, Facebook Live and Google Hangouts

Doctrine
Apprentice

I have a new 250D (SL3) that I've connected to my PC laptop via USB cable.  I have the EOS Utility and want to use it as a web cam for Zoom, Facebook Live, Youtube Live, Google Hangouts, etc.  

 

There is a noticeable lag between the video and the audio.  They are not in sync.

 

Does anyone else have this problem?  How did you solve it?

 

Are there camera settings that I should be change (FHD at 30fps)?

 

I appreciate anything you guys can tell me!

10 REPLIES 10

DadGotThis
Contributor

I am having the same issue with my M6 Mark II. The funny thing is that my old T5i which is not supported worked fine with no lag. The M6 Mark II which is supported has a lag. It is like a milisecond and very annoying. 

 

I tried it in 4K, and Full HD and both have it.


@DadGotThis wrote:

I am having the same issue with my M6 Mark II. The funny thing is that my old T5i which is not supported worked fine with no lag. The M6 Mark II which is supported has a lag. It is like a milisecond and very annoying. 

 

I tried it in 4K, and Full HD and both have it.


Are the audio and video "in sync" when you use the built in camera and microphone in your laptop?  In most laptops, they are out of sync by a hair.  Do not blame the EOS Webcam Utility for not correcting a pre-existing flaw.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

absolutely, there is a MASSIVE difference when using EOS versus internal laptop camera

ndutton
Apprentice

Yes this is so frustrating, I know this camera is good but there are a number of shortcomings.

The USB approach definately is a challenge as i often feel like i have to get the planets in alignement so that Zoom (or the EOS utility for that matter) actually sees the camera. Then when it does get seen the sync is awful.

 

I then went with a cheap HDMI capture card and that did make the sync better it wasnt perfect and the 80D also doesnt offer 'clean HDMI'. Now you can tweak the display to turn off all overlays except the autofocus square. So for that we have to use manual focus!!! I am the other side of the lens why do i need that square?

 

I've often found canon's software is 90% perfect but i always run into that 10%. Many other cameras out there score 70% in the software but i never need the remaining 30% - my luck!

 

Well i decided to go to a much higher end capture card (arrives in 2 days), if that solves the sync problem all good. If it doesnt, i guess the refund of the capture card will go along way to another camera which i hate the idea of doing because it opens the door for something other than Canon.

DadGotThis
Contributor
I grabbed a cheap HDMI capture card and it is much better than the utility. I agree it is probably not perfect but works. The M6 Mark II does have clean HDMI out, it’s just a setting.

DadGotThis
Contributor
Yes I have tested the FaceTime camera and different mics and they are all fine. I think the issue is it just pulls video and no audio.


@DadGotThis wrote:
Yes I have tested the FaceTime camera and different mics and they are all fine. I think the issue is it just pulls video and no audio.

Wasn't that fact obvious?  The Webcam Utility Beta is a substitute for just the camera found in most laptops.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DadGotThis
Contributor
Yes but those somehow manage to sync the audio and video. I have been able to use an external webcam and my USB blue Snowball mic and everything is in sync.

The only way I was able to get audio and video in sync with the M6 MarKII was to use an HDMI capture card and a shotgun mic plugged into the camera.

DadGotThis
Contributor
The utility and the blue snowball mic had the audio way out of sync.
Announcements