cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to disable Canon Utility temporarily?

paul-bklyn
Contributor

I'm very happy with EOS Webcam Utility, used with my EOS R plugged into my Mac laptop. But when it sits idle for a while, during an ongoing Zoom, it seems that my EOS Utility turns on and asks whether I want to download files from camera or use computer as remote control, etc. This turns off the webcam, and on the Zoom you just see the words CANON EOS Webcam Utility.

I'm asking for advice on a safe way to temporarily disable the Utility so my webcam use doesn't get interrupted. What if I changed the name of Canon Utility in my Applications folder (though there are three: EOS Utility and EU2 and EU3)? Or changed the folder's name? Just for the duration of the zoom that I don't want interrupted. Or do something else?

(Or is the interruption from the webcam utility turning itself off, signaling the Utility to start up, which revives the webcam? Doesn't seem likely.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NatalyaP, thanks for the advice. I ended up dragging my whole Canon EOS Utility folder (forget the exact name of it) into the trash before my important zoom (there did not seem to be an unistaller, unlike the Webcam app); and soon I will reinstall it from the zip installer, which I still have from my original download. But during my zoom I learned that the EOS Utility wasn't the problem; the webcam utility itself cut out spontaneously, but pressing the camera's shutter button and one or two things on the computer brought the webcam back to life. I guess I will have to live with this, and figure out the quickest possible way to get the webcam back when it goes off like this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, paul-bklyn

I'm sorry to hear that the EOS Utility sometimes interrupts the EOS Webcam Utility process when using your EOS R as a webcam. We do not recommend and cannot guarantee how the EOS Utility software will function if you were to modify the naming structure for the folder or its files inside.

The safe option is to remove the EOS Utility software from your computer. You may then re-install it when you plan on using with your EOS R camera.

NatalyaP, thanks for the advice. I ended up dragging my whole Canon EOS Utility folder (forget the exact name of it) into the trash before my important zoom (there did not seem to be an unistaller, unlike the Webcam app); and soon I will reinstall it from the zip installer, which I still have from my original download. But during my zoom I learned that the EOS Utility wasn't the problem; the webcam utility itself cut out spontaneously, but pressing the camera's shutter button and one or two things on the computer brought the webcam back to life. I guess I will have to live with this, and figure out the quickest possible way to get the webcam back when it goes off like this.

Greetings, paul-bklyn

Thank you for the additional information. Some Canon cameras will "time-out" after a period of usage when used as a webcam through the EOS Webcam Utility. This is mostly common at around the 30 minute mark. Tapping or pressing the shutter button halfway down will allow the camera to continue functioning as a webcam through the EOS Webcam Utility. Unfortunately, removing the auto power off timer will not resolve this issue but I have submitted your feedback regarding this concern. 

NatalyaP-- Perhaps I should start a new conversation, but since you're an expert maybe this is as good; I've already noted my new but related problem down below, but without response so far. Problem is that reinstalling EOS Utility failed. My removing it from my computer, as you suggested, consisted of dragging  the  utility folder from Applications to the trash and later emptying it (I didn't see any uninstaller). After this experiment I re-downloaded the utility, opened the disk image to install, and all that happens is an "extracting files" progress bar appearing for a second and then disappearing. Nothing else. (Restarting computer doesn't help.) I don't know what to try.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If I am not mistaken, the installation instructions for the Windows version direct you to disable the EOS Launcher Service.  This app does not have a GUI.  It it a background service that detects when a camera has been connected to the PC/laptop, determines the model camera, and will then launch either EOSU 2 or EOSU 3.  

There is probably a similar app running in the background on Apple Mac devices.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is interesting, thank you. I ended up putting the EOS Utility folder in the trash for my zoom, and reinstalling it from the installer afterwards.

paul-bklyn
Contributor

New, bigger problem: Reinstalling EOS Utility did not work. I downloaded the installer from the website  and clicked on the disk image EU-Installset-M3.14.30.5.dmg ; it opened with its installer icon with a blue arrow; clicking that  gave an "extracting files" progress bar for a second, and that was all; I don't have a EOS Utility folder in my Applications folder (or anywhere else). What can I do?

Would dragging my copy of that folder from my computer backup back into my Applications folder (assuming I would be allowed to do that) be a solution?

Announcements