cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Firmware update installation trouble

Florentine
Contributor

I'm having trouble installing the latest update. It looks like it's 1.8.1 

It looks like I need to download an installer first.
Is that EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0.30 (macOS)? I connected the camera and when I double click it goes to EOS Webcam Utility Pro and says "No active streams and To get started..."
There's nothing to click.

I downloaded 1.8.1. It says see the eosr5-v181-mac. When I click it nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, please.

Mac Ventura 13.5.2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you have a card reader on your Mac?  If so, that would be one way to install firmware.

The "eosr5-v181-mac" should be a ".dmg" file (Disk iMaGe).   Be sure that in Finder, you open "Settings" and in the "Finder Settings" | "General" panel, ensure the following checkboxes are checked:

[X] Hard disks

[X] External disks

[X] CDs, DVDs and iPods

Then, when double-clicking on the .dmg file, it should show a new icon on your desktop.  Double-click that to open its window and there should be instructions along with the firmware file (typically ends with .fir)

If you don't have a card reader, then I believe the software you'd need to install is Canon's "Camera Connect".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you have a card reader on your Mac?  If so, that would be one way to install firmware.

The "eosr5-v181-mac" should be a ".dmg" file (Disk iMaGe).   Be sure that in Finder, you open "Settings" and in the "Finder Settings" | "General" panel, ensure the following checkboxes are checked:

[X] Hard disks

[X] External disks

[X] CDs, DVDs and iPods

Then, when double-clicking on the .dmg file, it should show a new icon on your desktop.  Double-click that to open its window and there should be instructions along with the firmware file (typically ends with .fir)

If you don't have a card reader, then I believe the software you'd need to install is Canon's "Camera Connect".

--
Ricky

Thank you for taking the time to respond in great detail. I attached a card and it all worked.
You'd think they could make it as hard as possible.

Glad to have helped out and that your camera is now updated!

--
Ricky

Announcements