cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I download Canon RAW Codec Software?

skbryan
Contributor

Where can I download Canon RAW Codec Software to enable me to view raw/cr2 files in Windows 7 Pro Explorer?  Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is no separate Canon Codec, you need to use what came with the camera, it is called Canon Digital Professional.

And you need a decoder for every camera, not just a generic raw decoder. MacOS generally supports it for Preview and Photos, but not Safari. Generic decoders, like on iOS actually just look at the JPEG preview embedded in the file.

@kvbarkley wrote:

There is no separate Canon Codec, you need to use what came with the camera, it is called Canon Digital Professional.

And you need a decoder for every camera, not just a generic raw decoder. MacOS generally supports it for Preview and Photos, but not Safari. Generic decoders, like on iOS actually just look at the JPEG preview embedded in the file.

Canon's "Digital [Photo] Professional" is a photo editor and is neither the same thing as, nor a substitute for, the Canon Raw Codec.

Older versions of Windows needed the CRC in order to grok Canon's RAW formats. But that is no longer the case: Microsoft now has its own codec pack that includes Canon RAW. For Windows 7, you may need to download it (John Hoffman's note shows you how); in Windows 8 and 10 it's included with the OS.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Canon's "Digital [Photo] Professional" is a photo editor and is neither the same thing as, nor a substitute for, the Canon Raw Codec.

Older versions of Windows needed the CRC in order to grok Canon's RAW formats. But that is no longer the case: Microsoft now has its own codec pack that includes Canon RAW. For Windows 7, you may need to download it (John Hoffman's note shows you how); in Windows 8 and 10 it's included with the OS.

I noticed that the Codec is dated 2014, which means that cameras released around that release date, and later, may not be included.  In fact, neither of my Windows 10 machines can "grok" CR2 files from my EOS M3, but have no trouble at all with RAW files from my 6D or my T5.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Download here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Google's Picasa can open most CR2's & do very basic editing but I don't recommend it as the software to edit CR2's with but I use it for many jpg edits. It's free but no longer supported as it's being phased out but there are lots of us who will still use it for some time to come.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you google raw file codec you can find a commercial product that does a "quick" conversion. The browser mode in DPP is free. Or $50 to browse in Windows Explorer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
If you google raw file codec you can find a commercial product that does a "quick" conversion. The browser mode in DPP is free. Or $50 to browse in Windows Explorer.

Browser mode in Lightroom 6 cost me well over a hundred bucks!  Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements