cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*When available* Canon EOS Utility for Linux (Ubuntu)?

livestreamer
Enthusiast
The open source community kindly requests that Canon EOS Utility and Canon EOS Webcam Utility Beta be made available for connecting Canon Cameras to Linux Operating Systems, such as Ubuntu.

By only delivering value to the Apple and Microsoft ecosystems, you are missing out on the swathes of creators in the Open Source world.

Please... I don't want to go back to Microsoft. I'm a Linux convert now.
12 REPLIES 12

livestreamer
Enthusiast
Or can we at least make a Linux native webcam driver somehow?

I've tried using wine but failed miserably until now.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Have you tried Gphoto2?

Yeah... looking into that now

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If Canon would port DPP and Adobe would port their Creative Cloud to Linux I would happily leave Win 10 behind forever because Linux does everything else I need and does so without wasting my time.

I use both HP Z 840 and Z 820 workstations and both are configured as dual boot Linux and Win 10 Pro 64 machines.  I am doing most of my work now on the Z 840 and although it has plenty of resources it is still amazing to me how much Win 10 gobbles doing all of its inane little tasks.  

And I hope that whoever is doing the software development for Canon will evolve to make better use of available resources. 

I have the Z 840 equipped with two Xeon 6 core 3.4 Ghz CPUs with 128 GB of memory per CPU, a 1 TB HP Z turbo drive directly on the high speed processor bus for DPP to use in addition to 16 TB of spinning storage and 2 TB of additional solid state storage, and a pair of Nvidia Quadro 4000 workstation graphics cards with 8 GB of memory and 1,664 Cuda cores per card and some of the processing through DPP is painfully slow, especially when using files from my 1DX III and using the clone/stamp function. 

But while DPP is spinning its busy wheel, processor loading has never exceeded 20% even though the system is also running other stuff and stays at under 10% over most of the DPP processing cycle.  Memory utilization stays in the single digit range.   DPP GPU utilization is pretty much impossible to determine because it never jumps above 10% and Windows Client Server Runtime Process is usually responsible for that even when nothing else is running, just another "feature" of the inefficient bloatware also known as Windows 10.

So I also hope that Canon moves stuff over and in the process greatly improves some of the routines but I am not holding my breath waiting.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Cool, yeah, I recently discovered `gphoto2` on Linux, which can do for Linux what EOS Webcam Utility can do for Windows / Mac.

```
gphoto2 --stdout --capture-movie | ffmpeg -i - -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -threads 0 -f v4l2 /dev/video2
```

Also, using `gphoto2` to pipe into `ffmpeg` to livestream directly:

```
gphoto2 --stdout --capture-movie --capture-sound | ffmpeg -i - -vcodec h264 -f lavfi -i anullsrc -c:v libx264 -b:v 1000k -c:a aac -x264-params keyint=60 -f flv rtmp://
```

Also, I'm talking to `gphoto` people about capturing sound here: https://github.com/gphoto/gphoto2/issues/354 - feel free to collaborate if you're interested.

> Cool, yeah, I recently discovered `gphoto2` on Linux, which can do for Linux what EOS Webcam Utility can do for Windows / Mac.

That's actually not true. The resolution is severely limited this way. We still need proper linux support for Fedora, Debian, etc.

Alec
Apprentice

I'm able to see my camera feed on Ubuntu as a USB camera. I have a Canon R8

Just go to menu, settings (wrench) tab, page 4, and select "Choose USB connection app". Then select "video calls/streaming". It doesn't seem to limit resolution aside from cropping the image. This seems like something that could be fixed in a configuration on ubuntu but I'm not sure yet.

Announcements